BAC Lightning PR7

Started by deathjester, December 16, 2010, 04:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathjester

Hello chaps!  Just a sneak peek at my latest project - the Lightning PR7, my vision of the projected P.15 photo -recon variant (I thought I made it up, but it's real....kind of...)

This aircraft will be equipped with a special high altitude version of the RR Spey turbofan (20,500 lb thrust), and to give it an extra kick up to altitude, an Armstrong Siddeley Stentor rocket engine (24,000 lb thrust!)

Recon equipment will include: Dual IR Line scanners, oblique camera, various ECM systems.
Colour scheme planned to be Hemp over Charcoal, with nightfighter style roundels and fin flashes - as ever I am open to comment, questions and suggestions.  Bit of backstory to follow too..!

sandiego89

Nice. Like the upper and lower tanks.  Maybe some JATO bottles to help get it off the deck.  1/48 scale? 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Oooooh yes! Is that a bicycle landing gear too?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

deathjester

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 16, 2010, 05:10:17 PM
Oooooh yes! Is that a bicycle landing gear too?
Oh yes - that way I can have fuel in the ventral tank and the wings!

deathjester

Quote from: sandiego89 on December 16, 2010, 05:08:44 PM
Nice. Like the upper and lower tanks.  Maybe some JATO bottles to help get it off the deck.  1/48 scale? 
(Chuckle) Not that rich chum!  It's a (? Russian ?) Frog remould from a job lot of 1/72 Lightnings off of eBay.  As for JATO, who needs that with a Stentor!?!

John Howling Mouse

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Taiidantomcat

Outriggers!! So cool  :o great idea  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

JayBee

Hemp over Charcoal  :blink: :wub:
Absolute inspiration young man :thumbsup:
I may just use that scheme myself.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Captain Canada

Now that is cool....very cool. Love the idea, and the look. It's hard to tell from the grainy pic, but I don't like the look of yout outriggers....I think straighter legs ( like from a Harrier ) would look better.

Cheers !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

deathjester

Quote from: Captain Canada on December 18, 2010, 04:34:12 PM
Now that is cool....very cool. Love the idea, and the look. It's hard to tell from the grainy pic, but I don't like the look of yout outriggers....I think straighter legs ( like from a Harrier ) would look better.

Cheers !

:wub:
Well, I did think of that first, but remember, this plane lands a lot faster, and weighs more than a Harrier.  So it needs pretty strong landing gear - especially as I fitted an arrestor hook to allow for carrier landings! :wacko:

Paul Totherone

Interesting concept indeed. I look forward to seeing more of this one. :mellow:

Eddie M.

Very interesting. I like the looks of this one alot! ;D
Look behind you!

Army of One

I can't wait to see the colour scheme on....!!!!! Looking good so far.... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

deathjester

Ok, here we go.....

BAC Lightning PR7, 'Lightning Augmentation Flight', RAF Binbrook, c1967

kitnut617

All I'm seeing dj, is the dreaded white box with the red cross through it -----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike