Codename: Panzers - Cold War (whifs from a real-time strategy PC game)

Started by ChernayaAkula, December 15, 2010, 09:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChernayaAkula

Started to play Codename Panzers: Cold War, a real-time strategy game set in 1949 with the Soviet battling it out over Berlin. Whiffer's Delight!  :party:

In the third mission, I managed to, err, "liberate" this beast from the Soviets (which is why it's sporting US insignia). It looks brutal - because it is!  :wacko:

It looks to have a demolition gun and some huge rockets on the turret sides. I don't think it has a real-world ancestor, but then again, I'm not that well-versed in all things T-54. Do want to build one, of course!

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Jeffry Fontaine

Wicked! 

The rockets and the short gun barrel on the T-54 definitely give it a different look. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

manytanks

Do you have any models at all?

ChernayaAkula

And to think I found this game in the bargain bin for a mere 2.49 EUR!  :party:

M41 equipped with a flame thrower

Resupply by CH-37 Mojave

Soviet B4 203mm howitzer

T-62 (with ERA!) and Projekt 416

Cutscene

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Mike Wren

dy031101

The T-62 ERA actually looks quite modern; I'd think that a more contemporary system would look more like this.

Do those tubes on the T-54/55 and I-416 turret sides function as missile or artillery rockets?  Just curious  :thumbsup:
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

ChernayaAkula

Those rockets pretty much work like unguided artillery rockets and are used in a direct-fire role. Hellishly effective against bunkers.

Yeah, T-62 with ERA in 1949!  :o :lol:
I can't confirm it's actually ERA (the manual says so), as these tanks were blasted to smithereens by USAF F-86 fighter-bombers.  :party:
The game is pretty liberal with time lines in regards to the used equipment. Futuristic stuff for the US and Soviets, while the Germans (called Deutsches Freikorps in the game) still drive Tigers.

Cheers,
Moritz

dy031101

Do you happen to have picture of the ingame Tiger tanks?

Just to fulfill further curiosity.  :cheers:

====================

To-do list here

tahsin

I think ERA was conceptualized that early as Wikipedia says but T-62 would be another thing .

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

ChernayaAkula

Some more:

Tiger with M26 Pershing

M103 heavy tank with ERA

Combat resupply:
M41 delivered by CH-54 Tarhe

Captured Skoda St-1 PA tank hunter
Note that while this was a vehicle captured in combat, my troops still had the time to adorn it with some special markings :lol:

Projekt 461 with standard 100mm gun

Projekt 461 with the same artillery rocket modification as the T-54
The gun (or what's left of it) is apparently a dummy and not a demolition gun as I thought before

Lastly, another shot of the T-62 with ERA and what I think is an air defence missile pod on the bustle

Cheers,
Moritz

rickshaw

Real life T62s were trialled with an ATGW installation in a similar manner to that.  The Big Boys' Book of World Knowledge lists here also being a variant with a SAM missile in that position - how it would be used though, is not mentioned.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mike Wren

thanks for posting, great stuff! I think the T-54 might have a searchlight in place of the main gun

dy031101

====================

To-do list here