Free Radicals - Rafa's Air Combat

Started by Rafael, December 12, 2010, 09:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafael

Well, first off, I want to thank all of those of you guys who had tried to contact me these past months. I haven't been abducted (more than once, that is), or fell prey of nasty JMNs. I've been down and out with a very severe case of pathological depression, which had been brewing up for the last years. Finally, events caught up with me and I had to look for help. My apologies for not responding to your messages, but you may know that this is a very disabling disease, up to the point of impeding me to even write back. But now the meds (I like the happy blue and red pills, the yellow ones not so much) and the doctors have put me on line back again, and recommended a very thorough model therapy, so here's Rafa again, and on the mend. Thank you all.

This thread will revolve around some of my favorite fantasy planes, the Radicals and the advanced fighters and bombers from Air Combat fame. Since I don't know very much about AC backstory, I will intentionally deviate a little from it and develop my models from scratch and mark them with different nationalities. Stay tuned in. this may get interesting.

The first model for this thread is the R-101 Delphinus. I found some 3-views in the 'net and started printing and pasting on cardboard (Yum!!!) sized it to my scale of choice (1/72) and started working

Watch the size of this fellow, I parked it beside my F-15M for comparison

All glued and prepared to receive the fleshing-out treatment

more pictures later.

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Riksbar

Glad to see you back Rafa!  :thumbsup:

Lookng forward to seeing this one develop.
"Inconceivable!"

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Rafael

Thanks Riksbar!!!
Development underway.....

All fleshed up and skinned with plaster. Next will come putty, sand, repeat and details like scribing....

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

chrisonord

Great to see you back and back on form Rafa, :thumbsup:
Your work as ever is very inspiring, I am looking forward to seeing what this turns into.
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Maverick

Hola Rafa,

Great to see you back mi amigo! 

Good to hear you're tackling the black dog.  Many of us have been there and we know where you're coming from.

Looks like you're starting off just where you left with lovely, amazing scratches.

Regards,

Mav

Ed S

OK!! The cardboard Meister is back.  Looking forward to seeing more of this.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

pyro-manic

I'm sure I'd already replied to this topic, but it's vanished.... ???

Anyway, to repeat: That looks superb, rafa - a very sexy machine indeed! I also wish you the very best in your recovery - I am a long-term sufferer of depression, and it's an utterly horrible thing to go through. Keep it going, and good luck. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

GTX

Rafa,  welcome back my friend!!!! :drink:

I was only thinking about you yesterday and was going to try contacting you again.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Hobbes

Welcome back, good to hear things are improving.

NARSES2

Wellcome back indeed and hoping that things keep improving
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Taiidantomcat

Glad you are feeling better, your imagination seems just great!  :thumbsup: very interesting idea. Welcome back!  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Slerski

Welcome back chap !!

I'm following your model with attention, coz' she have sexy curves  :wub:
« Le MAGIC, c'est fantastique !! » [Sgt Vincent D., FAF armourer]

« Un Pétaf qui s'ennuie est un Pétaf dangereux... »

Martin H

The card master returns!
Good to see you back Rafa :)
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

lancer

Welcome back capt Cardboard, it's bloody good to see you again amigo.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die