Retired...at the William Hughes Technical Center (KACY)

Started by scooter, December 09, 2010, 03:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

Sitting off, in an open field at Atlantic City IAP is this relic of the bygone days of commercial air travel:

A Boeing 747SP, probably at one time used for Federal Air Marshal training, now retired even from that.

Close up of the nose gear door:

Because we were bored on a drill weekend last winter, one of my traditional guardsmen standing in the intake.

One of these days, I'm going to have to head back and look for serial numbers.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Chris707

Very nice shots, thanks!

This is ex N147UA, which had been originally been built for Pan Am  before going over to United. It made a noted round the world flight:

http://www.747sp.com/NewsDetail.asp?id=13

The FAA apparently used it for fuel cell inerting tests. Was there any sign of the C-133 fuselage that at one time was located near the Boeing?

thanks

Chris

scooter

Quote from: Chris707 on December 11, 2010, 03:47:18 PM
Very nice shots, thanks!

This is ex N147UA, which had been originally been built for Pan Am  before going over to United. It made a noted round the world flight:

http://www.747sp.com/NewsDetail.asp?id=13

The FAA apparently used it for fuel cell inerting tests. Was there any sign of the C-133 fuselage that at one time was located near the Boeing?

thanks

Chris

Thanks for the information.  I wasn't sure what Sky Pig it was.  And the 133's still there.
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

Captain Canada

Great shots. The SP is such a cool looking aeroplane. Any pics of the 133 ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

scooter

Quote from: Captain Canada on January 09, 2011, 06:41:08 PM
Great shots. The SP is such a cool looking aeroplane. Any pics of the 133 ?

:cheers:

Once the snow melts.  Last time I went out that way, I got my Humvee high centered.  :banghead:
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

scooter

Here's what's left of the 133-

Apologies about the grease pencil on glass...I took a quick snap, because FAA had people out wandering about the SP.

There's also an ex Air Canada 737-200 lurking about there too.

Up in the cockpit last February.   :tornado:
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

sotoolslinger

Learn something new every day :thumbsup: Not being a big commercial fan I had never even heard of this plane. That is the coolest looking big jet ever :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

jcf

Quote from: sotoolslinger on March 16, 2011, 10:03:31 AM
Learn something new every day :thumbsup: Not being a big commercial fan I had never even heard of this plane. That is the coolest looking big jet ever :wub:

Then you might like NASA's SP with the SOFIA telescope mounted in the aft fuselage.  ;D

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/SOFIA/multimedia/imagegallery/index.html

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.

rallymodeller

It has a certain cool factor, but the SP always looked photoshopped to me, even in person.

I had the issue of Flight magazine where they talked about that round-the-world flight. I was totally fascinated at the time...
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

lancer

Quote from: sotoolslinger on March 16, 2011, 11:30:05 AM
MMMMMMM Laser gunship :wacko:

Why am I not surprised that it's you who immediately thinks of that idea???
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

sotoolslinger

;D :rolleyes: :lol: :wacko: :party:
Hey when the aliens invade we're gonna need something besides our secret moon base, spaceplanes and killer satellites to defend ourselves with :blink:
I amuse me.

PR19_Kit

I had the extreme pleasure of flying in an SAA 747-SP from Cape Town to Frankfurt in ONE HOP back in the early 80s! They had to fly around the bulge of Africa, because of their apartheid politics, and an -SP was the only aircraft that could do it without a refuelling stop. Later on they stopped off at Abidjan using 747-200s I think.

It was the first flight I ever made that showed TWO films!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GTX

Quote from: sotoolslinger on March 16, 2011, 11:30:05 AM
MMMMMMM Laser gunship :wacko:

For some reason I pictured it as a personal jet with the owner taking golfing shots out of the door ;D

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

sotoolslinger

Hmmmm could also be an Airborne Mercenary Companies transport :wacko:
Wonder how slow they can go?
Extremely long range ,high speed , lots of room for equipment, 300 + troopers dropped where ever you need. :party:
I amuse me.