Allan in Canberra

Started by Allan, May 12, 2004, 05:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

I think I'll make my Mig 15 kit as a propellor job with a tailwheel.
Here's what I'll need and will start looking for.
One propeller scale 1/48 with three blades from any model.
Two MIG 15 horizontal tailplanes from any kind of crappy model as mine are missing from the kit.
I'll pretend that Ernst Udet was a Russian mole who faked his suicide and defected to Russia where he was given a prop MIG 15 as a gift in the late 40s. He decided to use his WW1 markings on it and actually flew one or two missions against Sabres over the Yalu with his plane in North Korean roundels.
Whaddya say brothers? :tank:
Allan

Allan

Maybe it was Herman Graf
Allan

Gary

With the idea of a turboprop in mind, is it possible to have it appear like the counter rotating engine as found x4 on the Bear? The blade size or gear height would need to be adjusted but that coweled intake is ...

well very sexual in an S&M way. :ph34r:  
Getting back into modeling

Gary

There she is with the Bear's turboprop grafted on. I'm sure I have the scale not exactly right, but eh. Looks like a fun build. B)  

Allan

how DO you do that computer wizardry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

Before I became a teacher I spent 17 years in advertising as a creative, director and owner. Selling my soul on a daily basis afforded me a few computers and the assorted softwear to run it.

Simply put, I found some line images of a Mig-15 and a Tu-95, both with reasonable resolution, saved them and created a file. I opened the Mig in my old version of Photoshop, 5.5 I think, and got rid of the extra junk on the screen. Used it as a background. I created a new layer and opend the Bear. I grabbed the chunk of the outer turboprop cna copied it to the new layer on the Mig file. The a save as a new file. I made the prop layer translucent and scaled it to fit over the mig in about the right areas. Save. I clipped a bunch of stuff off the prop layer as guides for erasing the rest of the stuff I didn't need. Then I made the mig layer invisible and proceeded to erase everything unnessary on the prop layer. Save.

Next I created a third layer and drew a line from the prop tip to a reasonable clearence distance from the tail. This to establish a ground line. Save. Then I copied the main gear, pushed it backward (swept wing) and lower to meet the ground line. I used the clone tool to extent the fuslage lines backward and then drew in some main gear doors. Save. Much the same for the nose gear, except that the intake on the engine obscured the doors. But it was late and I was a tad tired so I let it go.

I bumped up the contrast on each layer to make them match and to let the landing gear work not be too obvious, erased the ground line layer, merged the visible and saved it. All in all, once I found the images I needed it took about 10 minutes.

Photoshop is expensive as heck though. It's a fab package and requires considerable horsepower to run it, but you can do amazing stuff with it. The is a very good freeware package called "The Gimp" which does a lot of the same things and is constantly upgrading. So for little on no investment, other than what's on your desk already, you can do this kind of stuff. Just be paitent and don't expect the world. What I did was 10 min of fecking around and is by no means a quality job, but it's done with near two decades of experience doing it. (kind of like some of the modelers on this site can whip off a masterpeice in a night, it takes experience to do that) Grab some images and muck about, keep saving your files as you go along cause graphics tend to cause crashes, and enjoy it.

Cheers
Gary

Allan

Dear Gary/If My...
Well........... I can't really pretend to understand your explanation as my computer

knowledge is really, really rudimentary----like almost not there.

But I'll read it a few more times and have a go.

Thanks  Allan

F            R               I                      D                   A                        Y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

No offence intended... but I don't do bootleg software. A business owner can write off the expense in the first year, so for me it was ok to purchase. But I honestly fear the software police. I've seen a whack of raids in my world. All a chap needed to do was to tell the fuzz that your competition was running scamware, the computer police make the raid and poof, yer gone. The fines can be gigantic. Mind you, I've never seen people go to jail.

Now as far as individuals are concerned, you make your own choices in life. I read warning labels and I never tear the tag off my pillows. But that's me. I don't think I could reccomend using bootleg software when I consider how many of my past students and friends have gone to work for software companies.