The Fear and Trepidation GB (was Resin Kit GB)

Started by GTX, December 03, 2010, 08:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

We had a vacuform Kit GB a few years ago, so why not a Resin Kit GB.

There are many kits around, some very interesting, but just like vacuforms, it seems many are scared of resin.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

puddingwrestler

Cost would be an issue with some people I suspect, resin kits do tend to be more expensive.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

JayBee

Quote from: puddingwrestler on December 03, 2010, 10:06:04 PM
Cost would be an issue with some people I suspect, resin kits do tend to be more expensive.
I agree there, BUT who amongst us has not got at least a couple of resin kits in the stash?
I certainly have, and I do not particularly like resin. This would certainly give me the inspiration to actually build one of them. :thumbsup:

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Are we talking about Whiffing them or building them RW?

While whiffing a resin kit is possible it does raise some 'interesting' complexities. 'Interesting' is used here in the Chinese sense.......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Whilst agreeing cost is an isuue, I'd be for this. As for whiffing them. A lot of resin kits are wif's to start with to a greater or lesser extent. Farther wiffery is likely to be limited to a paintwork job or some simple aditions for most - and there ain't now't wrong with that  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pyro-manic

I have no all-resin kits, but a few with resin parts, some quite major (eg Whirlykits P.1121) and some limited to just a few detail bits (eg Special Hobby G.55). Why not have a "push the envelope" GB where you have to tackle something you haven't done before? So resin, vacforms, balsa, or even a short-run injection kit for those who haven't built one before.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Hobbes

Pyro, that's a brilliant idea.

JayBee

I have to say that idea sits well with me. Fear and trepidation now sets in :o

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Mossie

Not a bad idea, I might be tempted.  I've got a handful of resin kits in the stash & some half started that frankly, I'm terrified of.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

lancer

Jim, I think you've just come up with the definative name for this GB - The Fear and Trepidation GB

The last resin kit I battled with was the Magna Firebrand, and it WAS a battle believe me,  and that didn't come out too bad at all. So if me and my mediocre building skills can do it I'm sure that some of the wizards here will be able to do it.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

PR19_Kit

Does building a Merlin kit count in the 'Fear and Trepidation' GB?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GTX

I can live with that - the Fear and Trepidation GB sounds good.  It can cover vacuforms, resin kits, or anything else that give people fear..maybe it is homemade decals.  The mod can sort out the final rules and what is in and what is not. ;D

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

NARSES2

Yup you've hit it Pyro.

I'm comfortable with resin and have a lot in the stash - vacform on the other hand I'm terrified of and have never built. However I have one in the stash that I really want to start. So I'm all for The Fear and Trepidation GB

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: pyro-manic on December 04, 2010, 08:37:46 AM
I have no all-resin kits, but a few with resin parts, some quite major (eg Whirlykits P.1121) and some limited to just a few detail bits (eg Special Hobby G.55). Why not have a "push the envelope" GB where you have to tackle something you haven't done before? So resin, vacforms, balsa, or even a short-run injection kit for those who haven't built one before.

I have one of those as well in my stash and it will probably stay there though I may be tempted to tackle it if the GB goes ahead.

Gondor

Vac-form yeeewuuuck
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Taiidantomcat

Watching Sotoolslinger tackle projects he has wanted to do for decades with a reckless, (and highly successful) abandon, I wonder if a "project you have had in mind for a while but never had the guts to do" could qualify for this one?
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.