Vixen the 4th V Bomber

Started by tigercat, December 03, 2010, 08:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

When I first saw the new Airfix Sea Vixen in its unpainted state. I thought to myself if that was a 1:72 kit it would make a fine V bomber

What do you think if painted appropriately and with a few detail changes would the Airfix Sea Vixen make a convincing 1:72 V bomber ?   

PR19_Kit

Hehehe, I like that idea!  :thumbsup:

Graft a Vulcan or Victor nose onto it, change the landing gear and cut a bomb bay in the fuselage? But they'd have to be SERIOUSLY large engines for it to only have two of them!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Doc Yo

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 03, 2010, 09:11:40 AM
Hehehe, I like that idea!  :thumbsup:

Graft a Vulcan or Victor nose onto it, change the landing gear and cut a bomb bay in the fuselage? But they'd have to be SERIOUSLY large engines for it to only have two of them!

If the Russians could do it, so could the RAF. Though that does make me think about either (1) serious surgery to
the fuselage to add the sides of a second fuselage ( For four engines ) or (2) putting a pair of podded engines
on the outside of either boom ( ala' the Tu-22 )

Marvelous concept, anyhow. Scale-o-rama, baby!

pyro-manic

I'm not sure the Sea Vixen in 1:48 is quite big enough for a 1:72 V-bomber. The Vixen in 1:48 should scale to about a 32cm wingspan, whereas the Vulcan in 1:72 has a wingspan of about 10cm more. The other V-bombers are slightly bigger again. Maybe elongate the wings and fuselage, adding engines to the wing roots and a bomb bay in the new fuselage section? Alternatively, make a 2x2 stack of four engines in the same place as the SV's engines?

On a related note, I myself have a related V-bomber project in the works, but from Hawker. :wacko:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

pyro-manic

Exactly that! :wacko: One of the prettiest shapes ever to fly, but bigger and hauling sunshine!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

Quote from: pyro-manic on December 03, 2010, 12:16:14 PM
I'm not sure the Sea Vixen in 1:48 is quite big enough for a 1:72 V-bomber. The Vixen in 1:48 should scale to about a 32cm wingspan, whereas the Vulcan in 1:72 has a wingspan of about 10cm more. The other V-bombers are slightly bigger again. Maybe elongate the wings and fuselage, adding engines to the wing roots and a bomb bay in the new fuselage section? Alternatively, make a 2x2 stack of four engines in the same place as the SV's engines?

On a related note, I myself have a related V-bomber project in the works, but from Hawker. :wacko:

One of the less ambitious alternatives proposed instead of TSR was a "strike-Vixen" with an extended fuselage and booms...

Must admit, four 1/72nd scale engines in the middle was my first thought, though it wouldn't be easy. How about using two old 1/72nd Sea Vixens as nozzle donors? You could also use one of the 1/72nd cockpits to give a Canberra B(I).8 style cockpit setup too.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

AeroplaneDriver

Love the idea! 

The corollary is an idea I've often kicked around to scale-o-rama a 1/72 Vulcan into a 1/48 deep-strike platform, with a Tornado or F-15E cockpit and canopy grated in and the intakes feeding two engines instead of four....
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: Overkiller on December 03, 2010, 12:49:46 PM
An alternative idea I always kick around in my head whenever I see the Airfix Seahawk is turn it into a 1/144 1st generation multijet bomber....

good idea duncan i like that.

could have a cockpit similar to the B-47 or prototype B-52.
Keeper of George the Cat.

Mossie

Is a B-66 a scalorama'd S-3 Viking???

If the Sea Vixens span is a little short, shouldn't take much to extend it.  However, you could even shorten it a little more & make it a contender for the low level bomber to B.126T?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.