Yakovlev Yak 15 / 17 / 23 whiff's

Started by TsrJoe, December 01, 2010, 09:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TsrJoe

as a pressie for a friend (ie im too lazy to take them to finishing stages myself!) iv thrown together some hypothetical Yak 15 derivatives ...

twin engined type (BMW. 003 unit from an AR.234)
record breaking racer type, with rear mounted canopy, cropped wings and butterfly tail (based upon Me. P1106)
turboprop carrier version, ducted spinner, V frame hook and folding wings, loosly based on the German 021 turboprop

a fourth model is underway of a delta design which looks surprisingly 'normal'

cheers, Joe  :wacko:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

TsrJoe

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

TsrJoe

iv compiled a few of the other Yak designs i found when browsing on the site which might be of further interest ...

one of 'tojo 633's ongoing series of Yak.15 models ...

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,13650.0/highlight,yak.html

'stargazer 2006's  forward mounted cockpit Yak 23 derivative 'Yak Fistful' ...

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,26120.msg392866/highlight,yak15.html#msg392866

'PR19 kit's 'zwilling type' 'Yak 15Db' article and modelling pages ...

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,23828.0/highlight,yak+15.html
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,23822.0/highlight,yak+15.html

Tojo633

Git!, spoiling all my modelling fun that I cannot get round too. lol only kidding
Cheers
Sandy

PR19_Kit

Joe,

Which kit did you use to start off that bunch of Yakovlev mayhem please?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tojo633

PR19
Joe was talking to me the other night, starting point - 2 equally deranged minds talking about a possible subject or I think that can be called "Brainstorming!". lol
Behold my other yaks in alternative colours, more to follow. when I can get around to sanding and painting them. Ah the Festering season will soon be on us...modelling time maybe.
Pic is from the Perth 2010 show.

Tojo633

OK
Some of them by nation or project.
British 2 of evaluation aircraft, USA captured evaluation aircraft, Soviet Seaplane racer (1953 Schneider Trophy race).
Soviet Ivan Khozedub? Czech, Korean (soviet flown), Chinese, Iran,Egypt, Finland, Polish (WIP) White one is on skiis and will be in Soviet colours. Numerous other ideas and nations under consideration so watch this space.
Cheers
Sandy

TsrJoe

hiyas Kit, they're from the PM/Pioneer kit, pretty basic but a nice little model (btw. i added a link to your 'zwilling' build, a really neat model)

cheers, Joe

ps. Sandy, i'll drop them off next time i brave the frozen northern wastes, ill build them to 'ready to paint condition, so youv no excuse, hehehe !

frank2056

These are all great builds, and the twin BMW003 is just inspired. So incredibly ugly that it just has to be real!

Now I have a good use for the 2 or 3 PM Yak-15s I have in the closet. The worst part of the kit (by far) is the canopy. The A-Model version is more detailed, but the fit is far worse.

Maverick

Brilliant stuff Joe,

Really interesting deviations from the original.

Regards,

Mav

PR19_Kit

Joe,

Right, I thought they may have been the PM one, and thanks for the link to my twinned Yak 15 too.

I quite liked that kit, apart from the strength of the plastic. I think they must have used titanium in the mix somewhere, it's THAT strong!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

sequoiaranger

Or, er...Bologna, actually.

This whif was made from a Yak-17 (15?) with two Me-262 jets added to the wings, and the Jumo 004 "starter" added to the center jet for commonality. Of course Italians liked tri-motors, so this one was a "natural".

Astounding as it may seem, a "reputable" Spanish publishing company produced a book on jet aircraft of WW II and boldly stated that this "Bologna" was a REAL Italian turbojet project, and had the (my) photo to prove it!! They credited me with the photo, but never contacted me for either permission to use the photo or verification of my sources for the aircraft---they just accepted it as a genuine Italian project. WHAT A HOOT!!  :party:

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

TsrJoe

... thats the fun, and for researchers and writers, 'dangerous'  :blink: part of whiffing, yours is part of a growing list, including Kit's infamous Meteor PR.19 which has seen its share of comments in 'non fiction' sources :wacko:

Spey_Phantom

now that i remember, i did build an RAF'46 version of the YAK-15. in my back history it was build under licence by Hawker, and was designated Feather Mk.1

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,24849.0/

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PR19_Kit

Oh yes, I LOVE the Bologna!  :thumbsup:

Join the 'I spoofed the World' club.  ;D

For a kit that was roundly condemned as 'inaccurate' and 'crude' by the modelling press when it came out umpteen years ago, that little PM thingie had given us lot LOADS of fun, hasn't it?

Regards
Kit