Lang-Austin CP-101 Airswift (first home-made vac-form)

Started by John Howling Mouse, November 30, 2010, 08:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Some of you may recall the fictional "Lang-Austin" aircraft manufacturer I created for the SP-7D Caroma:

Well, Lang-Austin is at it again.  This time, for my first-ever home-made, scratchbuilt vac-form.  You seldom see 1:48 twin-engine commuter types in mainstream
injection-molded kits.  So, I'm going to use my own vacforming machine and make my own.  I'll be working on the wood patterns for the design below this weekend, if all goes well.

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

deathjester

Brilliant!  Will you be doing some for sale on your side of the pond?

frank2056

Please sit down at this interrogation chair, Mr. JHM. Do not mind the bright light.

1 - Do you have pictures of your vacuforming machine?
2 - Did you make it yourself or is it a commercial unit?
3 - Are you going to make the fuselage in clear plastic (for cockpit & passenger windows)?
4- Will it have an interior? Or at least a cockpit?
5 - Are you going to carve the turbo-prop engines yourself?
6 - there is no question #6
7 - Will you provide us with step by step pictures?

Thank you for your cooperation!

Doc Yo

While I'm only so-so on the subject matter, I've toyed with the idea of home vac-u-forming myself, and will be
interested in seeing your progress.

Eddie M.

Look behind you!

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: frank2056 on December 01, 2010, 01:18:04 PM
Please sit down at this interrogation chair, Mr. JHM. Do not mind the bright light.

1 - Do you have pictures of your vacuforming machine?  I have taken some but don't know where they are.  I'll take more.
2 - Did you make it yourself or is it a commercial unit?  Small commercial unit.
3 - Are you going to make the fuselage in clear plastic (for cockpit & passenger windows)?  The cockpit area will be clear, painting around the windows.
4- Will it have an interior? Or at least a cockpit?  Cockpit only.
5 - Are you going to carve the turbo-prop engines yourself?  Yep.  They're unique!
6 - there is no answer to question #6
7 - Will you provide us with step by step pictures?  Definitely.  Wish me luck.

Thank you for your cooperation!

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

frank2056

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on December 01, 2010, 07:03:53 PM
The cockpit area will be clear, painting around the windows.

Are you making the fuselage as a single unit or breaking it up into sections? The fuselage appears to be about 15" long in 1/48.

Looking forward to seeing you work your magic!

royabulgaf

I don't know how far you are in your project at this time, nor do I know how much money you care to sink into the project.  Have you given thought to starting with a 1/72 Concorde for the fuselage, and perhaps puttering around with an AN-12 kit for the engines and wings, cutting the wings down for a twin engine aircraft?
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

royabulgaf

I just saw a photo of the Breguet Atlantic on another thread.  Even better for the wings.

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: frank2056 on December 02, 2010, 10:33:15 AM
Quote from: John Howling Mouse on December 01, 2010, 07:03:53 PM
The cockpit area will be clear, painting around the windows.

Are you making the fuselage as a single unit or breaking it up into sections? The fuselage appears to be about 15" long in 1/48.

Looking forward to seeing you work your magic!

Yep, you're pretty close!  The complete model will be 13-7/8" long overall with the fuselage alone being about 12-7/8" long.  My vacform machine has an 11" x 17" capacity so this fuselage can be molded in one piece.  Tail will be separately formed. .  You have to keep the patterns a certain distance from the edges, too.  The deeper the subject, the farther from the edges.  But I plan to do the forward fuselage in clear styrene just for the ease of having clear cockpit windows.  To do that, I'll make a small jig to hold the smaller sheets of clear styrene. 

What, me nervous????

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: royabulgaf on December 02, 2010, 04:23:32 PM
I don't know how far you are in your project at this time, nor do I know how much money you care to sink into the project.  Have you given thought to starting with a 1/72 Concorde for the fuselage, and perhaps puttering around with an AN-12 kit for the engines and wings, cutting the wings down for a twin engine aircraft?

I originally thought of converting a 1:48 LearJet model but, now that I'm using my vacformer for the first time, I'm going full scratchbuild on this one with MDF wood patterns throughout.  The wings, engines, empennage will all be Baz-Bilt...for better or worse.    :blink:

But your idea is an excellent starting point for others to work from....hint! hint!  Give it a go!   :thumbsup:

kitnut617

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on December 03, 2010, 04:52:52 PM

I originally thought of converting a 1:48 LearJet model but, now that I'm using my vacformer for the first time, I'm going full scratchbuild on this one with MDF wood patterns throughout. 

I've read Barry, that basswood is best to make the master moulds from.

Not sure where this place is though:
http://www.best-price.com/search/landing/query/basswood+lumber/s/google/koid/9385510129/gkaid/38115800/?gclid=CMWJpv660aUCFUVoKgodT3LwlA
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

royabulgaf

I do have a spare Concorde.  However I have earmarked it for conversion to an HP 100 in Flight Refueling Ltd markings.

Alvis 3.14159

I always find vacuforming just sucks!   :lol:

Good luck, it looks quite nice! It would be nice to see it in styrene.

Alvis Pi