Rafale build some info please

Started by chrisonord, November 29, 2010, 05:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Hello everyone, I am in need of some enlightenment of the Rafale kind today :lol:
I have built a Hobby boss Rafale C and I have armed it with LGB's, what I need to know is, will I need to put a LANTIRN pod or similar on to it also to make the use of the weapons possible, or has the Rafale got something built in? If I do need to put a pod on it it will have to go on the fuselage somewhere, perhaps as a similar set up to the F-16. Any ideas and help will be most appreciated.
Cheers,
Chris. 
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Chris,

Convert the LGBs to the later BWGS versions (thats 'brain wave guidance system'.....) and then all you need to install is the pilot.  ;)

Of course you will need the brain wave system antenna, but that's just a couple of pitot type aerials on each wing tip...........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

The French use the Thales Damocles pod - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thales_Damocles - which fits on a pylon under the intake.

Of course, if this is for your USMC, they'll use a Sniper or Lightening pod instead. :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

chrisonord

Thanks for the info guys  :thumbsup:
The Rafale is a Honduras air force aircraft, one of 2 that I currently have on the bench, so I think I will probably stick a lightening or a sniper pod on it,as I think I have some of those. The other Rafale is covered as it is going to be an armed recon bird, air to air missiles, 2 drop tanks and a RAPTOR pod on the centre line.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

My RoKAF build has a 'Sniper' pod, (AN/AAQ 31) combined laser designator and thermal imaging pod. My Kuwaiti Rafale has the French Damocles pod. Both are mounted under the port intake. Chris you dont need any sort of pod on your project as you could quite easily have a second (unbuilt) aircraft as a buddy-bomber in the same way that the 'Bricks' designated for the Tornado's in the Gulf War.

HTH, Back to you.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

chrisonord

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on November 30, 2010, 01:31:10 AM
My RoKAF build has a 'Sniper' pod, (AN/AAQ 31) combined laser designator and thermal imaging pod. My Kuwaiti Rafale has the French Damocles pod. Both are mounted under the port intake. Chris you dont need any sort of pod on your project as you could quite easily have a second (unbuilt) aircraft as a buddy-bomber in the same way that the 'Bricks' designated for the Tornado's in the Gulf War.

HTH, Back to you.

Ian
Thanks for the info Ian, much appreciated, I have modified a pylon from the Hasegawa weapons set to fit the Rafale, and put a LANTIRN pod on it. I have installed this in the same place as the Damocles pod in the picture. I am building another Rafale and this one will probably be working alongside the LGB armed version as an armed recon and damage assessment  platform. Is there a Damocles  pod available in 1/72nd scale, as it would be nice to have in my weapons stash.
Cheers,
Chris.