The Alvis Petrie memorial thread

Started by nev, May 11, 2004, 11:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

This is for all the newer folk round here.  You may have heard the name "Alvis" mentioned in threads here and there.  For reasons known only to himself he hasn't been round these parts for a good 6 months, and we miss him.

Alvis is from Vancouver Island, British Colombia and is a bona fide lunatic with a streak of genius and a ton of modelling ability.  His models were outrageously funny and brilliantly done, and there were always lots of them.

If you've never seen Alvis's stuff, I recommend that right now you go into the "search" function and search the "Show us your current project " forum for topics started by "Alvis" in the last year.  You should get about 2 pages of links (I was gunna post 'em, but theres too many).

Then check them all out.

Alvis was the best.  I hope we see him again soon  :)  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Gary

Geeze guys, I've been asked a couple of times by various folks if I'm Alvis. Not a hope in hell do I come close to that guy's insanity. How in heaven's name could you have me confused for me?

I laughed so hard at stuff I passed a Humpty Dumpty Crunchet through my nose. SERIOUSLY! (actually has something to do with a radiator that blew up in my face and destroyed a bunch of soft tissue in my sinus area, but still!) And I actually got into such a giggle fit that I had to throw up in my garbage can, I simply couldn't breath! He's absolutly brilliant, A picasso of plastic, a man of great wit and some other stuff wot I can't think much to say goodly. I've laughed so hard I've turned my head into oatmeal. Ow. I won't mention that I had to pee out the window. Oh, I guess I mentioned it.

Clearly the guy has gone back to his homeworld, for one as brilliant as he is cannot be from this Earth.
Getting back into modeling

retro_seventies

Truly a great guy, and sadly missed....i only hope that he's enjoying doing what he's doing, and that whenever he gets the urge to rejoin the madness that he doesn't think too long about it.

he got me hooked on beaver mustard ya know.  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Captain Canada

yeah, I wonder what ever happened to him ?

Same crazy thing happened to Meece as well.....just dissappeared on us !

:(  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

QuoteAlvis is a bona fide lunatic with a streak of genius and a ton of modelling ability.  His models were outrageously funny and brilliantly done, and there were always lots of them.

Alvis was the best.  I hope we see him again soon  :)
I agree at 100% : Alvis, if you ever read this, just know that we miss you badly... There are several other genius here but we miss the Number One...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Supertom

Let's canonize him.  St Alvis, patron saint of mad modelers...
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

nev

Hey Tom, do you still have his "moon landing" article kicking around your PC?  I couldn't find it on the main page.  That was possibly his finest work (and I'm sure would be appreciated by all the new Canucks here)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

John Howling Mouse

All I can hope is that he's alive and as well as a mad modeler could possibly be.

And, of course, I hope that he's off creating more fun stuff for us to ogle in the near future!

Come home, Alvis!

-_-  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

The Rat

The one I first fell for (back in my naive internet newbie days) was his biplane F4 Corsair. It was the first time I had seen a weird aircraft with a convincing background history.

If you want to really see how incredible his talents are go to Aero Vintage Books and scroll down to April 2002. They almost swallowed his 'Fortcaster' hook line and sinker. A supposed hybrid of a B-17 and a Lancaster, they had their suspicions, but didn't get around to finding the truth until the June issue.

C'mon back Alvis, you're the best!   :ar:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr