Very High Altitude PR colour schemes.

Started by JayBee, November 23, 2010, 10:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

What If - someone was building a model of a high altitude, VERY high altitude, PR machine for the RAF. We are talking post Meteor PR-19, and into and beyond  the era of the U-2 here. What would the basic colour scheme be?
Would it still be Light Aircraft grey over PRU Blue, or Black like the U-2, or as I am thinking at the moment overall very dark blueish/Grey.
Gentlemen (for want of a better term) your thoughts would be appreciated on this point.

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

philp

While the blue and grey would look cooler on the table, the all black would seem more practical.  Or, at least black on the underside.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

pyro-manic

EDSG top and sides, black underneath? Or Hemp topsides like the Canberra PR.9?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PR19_Kit

Good question Jim, I've been wondering that since I started on the PR19b build goodness knows how many years ago. In the PR19 backstory I said the two PR19bs were finished in a dark grey/light grey scheme, but I omitted to say which colour went where......

I'm inclined to think that light grey on top (Typhoon colour perhaps) and EDSG underneath would work, remembering that the TR-1 versions of the U-2 are all over black, and I mean BLACK!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Doc Yo

I don't know what kind of research was done for the color schemes on the U-2, but I do remember the minor
flap over the color scheme of the more recent F-117. Black was what the pilots wanted, apparently, even
though research had reveled that a light-medium grey was the best suited for night work.

PRU blue, however effective it is at concealment, is one of the most beautiful shades in creation as far as
I'm concerned, and should be given consideration on aesthetic grounds alone.

kitnut617

I've read somewhere, that at very high altitudes, it goes to a very, very deep dark blue, almost black
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TsrJoe

black would be the 'norm' i guess poss with msg uppers as per Canberra? altho for my 'U.2 Hunter' i went with an overall PR. Blue colour as it made its role obvious for the table plus seemed to make it feel more 'British'!

cheers. Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Maverick

Everything I've read regarding PR schemes suggests that Black is the antithesis of high altititude schemes.  Deeper blues, like the RAF's Deep Sky or PRU Blue are much more operationally sound colours.  From what I've read regarding the U-2 & SR-71, black was chosen because it was 'cool'.

Regards,

Mav

PR19_Kit

In the case of the SR-71 wasn't the black finish chosen because it radiated away the heat produced at Mach 3? Of course that made a '71 one  great IR target, but were there any IR missiles that could go that fast anyway?  ;D

I'm inclined to think that the ultra-high altititude camouflage question really depends on whether you're looking up or down on the target aircraft. If you're looking up at it, while it's flying at ultra-high altitudes, the underside colour really needs to be pretty dark because the background colour, the upper air sky, is dark. If you're lucky enough to be looking down on it the background will be the earth below, or more likely, a cloudscape, so a lighter greyish colour makes more sense.

Of course the REAL question is what is JayBee planning to build that needs such a colour scheme?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Something that flies VERY high, and takes photos :rolleyes:

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 24, 2010, 01:01:29 AM
In the case of the SR-71 wasn't the black finish chosen because it radiated away the heat produced at Mach 3? Of course that made a '71 one  great IR target, but were there any IR missiles that could go that fast anyway?  ;D

Had similar thoughts myself. Thought the black was more to do with IR and radar reflection minimisation ??? But then all this is way, way above my head...I'll get my coat  :banghead:

Seriously I would go with very dark blue underside and maybe a lighter blue topside if it's flying really high ? When you look at shots of the Earth from way up then the views are predominantly blue - or would appear to be to me anyway ? But there again what is going to get above it ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Cobra

What about doing a Combo of Midnight Blue for Undersides and a NASA White for the Top? would that work for a PR Plane? just my Thoughts.Dan

NARSES2

Quote from: Cobra on November 24, 2010, 02:16:07 AM
What about doing a Combo of Midnight Blue for Undersides and a NASA White for the Top? would that work for a PR Plane? just my Thoughts.Dan

Same thought process as mine Dan  :thumbsup: It would certainly look spectacular  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Maverick

Regarding the colour of the SR-71, there were variants that weren't overall black.  The YF-12, M-21 and others flew in schemes where the only black was in the RAM areas (chines, etc).  One wonders therefore if the heat dissapation thing didn't count with the YF-12 at least??

Regards,

Mav

sideshowbob9

Was planning an overall dark blue-grey for my RAF TR-1K. It was inspired by a photo of one of the RAF's Shadow R.1s in lighting conditions that made it appear more blue than it is. Looks really good. No idea how I'm going to replicate it though.