Another random WIP (B-58 Hustler scale-o-rama)

Started by Burncycle, November 22, 2010, 08:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burncycle

I was trying to think of something interesting to do with a B-58, and actually had a bunch of different configurations I wanted to try. I ended up settling on something Tu-22 esque with a pair of engines at the base of the tail, and of course lately I've been on a scale-o-rama rampage so I wanted to make the 1/144 scale kit into a 1/72 scale aircraft.

I added canards (1/260 scale B-1B elevators) and it kind of reminded me of a Tu-144, though I wasn't necessarily aiming for russian styling. The rear windows will be painted over and a rough canopy shape (1/100 scale Bae Lightning) has been put into place temporarily to give an idea of the overall lines when it's done.

I was thinking of hardpoints on the flat areas on the wings for air to air missiles, but with the canards that obviously wouldn't work. Maybe fuel tanks like the lightning...

Anyway just a thought experiment, not settled on this as the final design yet. Wasn't sure if I should keep the inboard engines and move the outboard ones (as I did) or vice versa, so I'll probably play around with it a bit more.

lenny100

Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Weaver

Looks very promising! :wacko:

I think the engine arrangement you've got is the logical one: keeps all four thrust lines as close to the centreline as possible. I wouldn't worry about using the wing "flats": with the B-58 undercarriage, you're going to have LOADS of ground clearance for under-fuselage stores.

I like it! (and yes, it definately has something Very Gerry about it)  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

sequoiaranger

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

chrisonord

I am liking the look of this, long range high altitude high speed UFO destroyer perhaps?? :wub: :wub:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

sotoolslinger

Very Nifty :wub: You could always still move the canards down to clear missiles but overwing tanks would be cool too :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Burncycle

lol yeah I was thinking maybe point defense interceptor or anti ship missile carrier... it really is a tight squeeze for the pilot in 1/72 scale, and not much room for radar! Maybe I can enlarge the nose...

Thanks for the comments, I think I'll mess with it a little more

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

ElectrikBlue

Cool design, I also tried some similar engine arrangements... love the canards addition! :ph34r: :thumbsup:

anthonyp

I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Cobra

Have you thought about making it into an Air Sea Rescue Search Plane? Looks like it would be Suited to that Role! Reminds me of the Spearhead bomber from Stingray! :cheers: Dan

General Melchet

Do you mean like this Cobra?,

Something I've been working on and off for a while...(using the ancient Revell 1/96th kit the one of the actual models used by Anderson)....

Andy

Clearly, Field Marshal Haig is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to Berlin.

Cobra

Yep. You do great work! Would you Agree The B-58 looks like it work work for ASR,Andy? Dan

MiB

Mumble mumble...strange engine configuration....
My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"