Sea Vixen PR3

Started by PR19_Kit, November 22, 2010, 01:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

In the light of opinions expressed in the 'What sort of build reports do you prefer' thread, I'll post my thought processes on this project, even though almost no plastic has been cut, just a lot of tape-ups done, plus the drawings and a bit of a backstory....

Here is the Sea Vixen PR3, a short production run built just after the FAW2 was introduced into FAA service. Their Naval Lordships wanted a dedicated PR platform to locate targets and for post strike assessment, the idea being that each strike carrier had a 3-4 aircraft flight aboard, rather in the manner of the Gannet AEW3 Ship's Flights.

The PR3 had much longer wings, of higher aspect ratio and a longer nose, with the radar deleted, holding a 6 camera fit, but no weapons as such. It also had Avon 300 series engines for more oomph, naturally. Model is an old Frog FAW2 with some FAA Models add-ons, U-2 wings (now there's a surprise.... ;D) and the nose from an RF-84F suitably thinned to fit. Probably finished in Extra Dark Sea Grey on top and PRU Blue underneath.

And no, I haven't worked out how the wing fold would work yet, but think Gannet.......

All of the above probably in about 2 years, when it's finished.  :rolleyes:

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Gondor

and just think what the JNM's and CIA will make of this one.......

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Army of One

Oh cool.....u gotta build it.......u just gotta.....!!
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on November 22, 2010, 03:05:46 PM
and CIA will make of this one.......

Gondor

They already know...whilst Kit was sleeping one night...................... :wacko:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 23, 2010, 01:56:01 AM
They already know...whilst Kit was sleeping one night...................... :wacko:

Sleep? What's that?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

Yowzaaaa!  Nice vision
be waiting to see this in plastic

Weaver

Nice concept Kit!  :thumbsup:

Wouldn't the sweep be a bit less than that though, to avoid having too much lift aft?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on November 23, 2010, 02:48:45 AM
Wouldn't the sweep be a bit less than that though, to avoid having too much lift aft?

Maybe, yes, but the increased nose length may compensate, and it really depends how the plastic fits together. I may line-up the sweep back with the sweep of the inner wing panels. Conversely I may make the booms longer, which will need more nose weight etc. Do they have these problems in the real world too????

Hawker-Siddley will update the official drawings afterwards of course........  ;)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 23, 2010, 04:10:40 AM
Quote from: Weaver on November 23, 2010, 02:48:45 AM

Maybe, yes, but the increased nose length may compensate, and it really depends how the plastic fits together. I may line-up the sweep back with the sweep of the inner wing panels. Conversely I may make the booms longer, which will need more nose weight etc. Do they have these problems in the real world too????

Hawker-Siddley will update the official drawings afterwards of course........  ;)

Yep, they have exactly those problems!  ;D

I'm not sure of the relative weights of the radar vs the cameras, but it looks as though the recce nose would add weight forwards, so you'd either have to add weight aft or move the centre of lift forwards bit to compensate. Adding weight aft is difficult on a twin-boom job: stretching them doesn't add much structural weight and it's more difficult to fill them with black boxes and stuff because they're narrow and full of duplicate control runs. One thing you could do is add slab-sided ECM pods to the fin tips, which would add weight as far aft as possible and also add fin area to compensate for the long nose. However, since they're making new outer wings for it anyway, I'd suggest that the tips should be about level with the jetpipes, or maybe even a little further forwards than that.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

sideshowbob9

It's not just a CofG issue. With wings that highly swept, it's going to be a handful operating off of a deck with regard to landing speeds and/or angle of attack. It will also need a hingeing nose to go down the elevator.

Looks seven shades of awesome though!  :thumbsup:

pyro-manic

WRT adding aft weight, what about fattening the booms up (as the FAW.2 did), rather than just lengthening them? You could even mount the cameras in extensions on the front of the booms, allowing more to be carried.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PR19_Kit

Actually they're not '....that highly swept'.

The sweep angle is exactly the same as the standard FAW2, 36 deg, it's just the ultra-long aspect ratio that makes them look more swept. And who said the nose didn't fold anyway?  ;D

Regards
Kit

Geoff

Someone warn Langley now. Looks cool!