My scratch builds, something a bit different for me.

Started by chrisonord, November 21, 2010, 04:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

After geting annoyed by my Beriev Be-200 and making my modelling look like a 3 year olds :angry: I put it away in its box and had a look what I could do with my M-60 with the dozer blade. This got me thinking about what I could also do to other vehicles as part of the same theme, this theme being engineering and recovery vehicles.I started a conversion of a Hummer in to a fitters truck, making a rear box similar shape to the maxi ambulance, and putting tool racks, spot lamps and a spare wheel on the new rear doors. The M-60 will become an excavator, with a cab on the new turn table that can also drive the main tank chassis when needed. The driver will sit in a protective cage type cab, but it won't have glass fitted. To protect everything from the rain a waterproof cover can be rolled down with clear panels in. The M-60 and the Hummer will belong for my U.S Marine task force, I will also do a modified AMX-30 for the Honduras Army, this I think will have a crane fitted to it.
Here is some progress shots of what I have done so far, oh and the excavators rams are all movable, and all the parts move on it too.

The excavator has some more work needed on it, I need to finish making the 2 main elevator rams for the boom, and make it some more attachments, like a ditching bucket, auger,breaker and maybe a winch. I have also made the Hydraulic pump and reservoir tank, and I am going to put hydraulic lines on the boom and connect them to the rams. The Hummer "fitters shop" is ready for paint.
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Ed S

Looks good so far.  Although, I would think that if you are going to the trouble of mounting the excavator on an armored vehicle, you would also want to armor the operators cabin. FFIW.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

chrisonord

Hya Ed,
The vehicle won't be used in a hostile environment as such, it will be used to set up base camps,perimeters and checkpoint fortifications etc.
Chris.

Weaver

Just so I'm understand you correctly, you've scratchbuilt that excavator arm? If so, WOW!  :thumbsup: :bow:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

sotoolslinger

WOW :o That's some really good scratchbuilding right there :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

chrisonord

Thanks for the comments guys, and yes I have built that arm from scratch, and mostly from memory too as I used to drive 360 tracked excavators for a while, and do a bit of the service work on them too. I was tempted to make it a proper excavator chassis too, but thought, nah, I will stick it on the M-60 chassis, so if need be it can move as quick as the rest of the vehicles.
Cheers,
Chris. 

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

rickshaw

Bit overloaded there, lad, with the way those wheels are toeing in.  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

John Howling Mouse

Incredible.  Color me impressed...and waiting for more!   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

chrisonord

The fitters truck is in base paint and so is the M-60 hull, still constructing the 2 rams for the arm to lift. The hydraulic pump and reservoir are stuck on the plate ready for the hydraulic pipes to be fitted. I need to search out some suitable wire to make the smaller diameter hoses from, but I could probably get away with using tie wrap wire for that.I am taking my time with this one as I want to do it right, and also because I have 2 Rafales on the go, one nearly done, one half done.
Cheers,
Chris

chrisonord

At long last I have got my rear into gear and finished the excavator/M60, also I have built a trailer for it too, but the tractor unit is still some way off being done. I am tempted to build either a crane next on a tank chassis, or a recovery vehicle with a Hi HAB loader on it.

Cheers,
Chris. 

Cliffy B

A combat digger on a tank chassis...PURE AWESOME!!!!  :thumbsup:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

deathjester