Whiffing ideas in general

Started by PR19_Kit, November 21, 2010, 01:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

As well as the 15-20 odd Whiffs I have in build already  :banghead:, one's I've cut plastic on I mean, I must have at least a dozen more in my head. For most of these I have kits or parts earmarked to start the builds, but I REALLY need to finish the others first of course.  :-\

How do you lot manage this situation, where your brain works faster than your fingers, or even faster than you have time for?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Cliffy B

I write them down in a notebook so I don't forget them.  When I find myself itching for anew project I thumb through until one strikes my fancy, I go rummage around for the kit(s), and go from there.  All of my partially completed kits are still in their boxes or are lumped into bigger kit boxes left over from completed kits.  All of these boxes go into separate cardboard boxes so I can keep track of what's built and what isn't.
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Martin H

unless im working to a theme, its totally random. I have been known to make lists of ideas, but I very rarely follow them.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 21, 2010, 01:33:27 PM
How do you lot manage this situation, where your brain works faster than your fingers, or even faster than you have time for?

Beats me Kit.  The voices are calling all the time!!!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

A problem I have is I'll be building a model, I'll sort out how all the kitbashing will be accomplished, get it all done but then with just a few normal bits to fit on, my mind wanders to something else and the project sits on the shelf unfinished.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Maverick

I have thematic lists describing my 'intentions' with point form details on the markings/conversions required.  That being said, like many great plans it rarely remains once the battle with the plastic begins.

Regards,

Mav

Weaver

When I first started on here I had a projects list thread where I added new ideas and updated the status of old ones. After a while, I dropped it because the new ideas were being added at about five times the rate that old one were even being progressed, let alone finished. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I hit problems and lose interest in a model. Sometimes I start them for GBs then realise they'll never get done on time and then there are other things to be done. They're mostly all stored in what I call "project boxes", which are cheap clear plastic boxes from Hobbycraft.

I have trouble devoting time to modelling sometimes, partly due to work (but not for much longer!) partly due to household stuff, partly due to other hobbies and partly due to mood: sometimes I just know I'm not in the right frame of mind to model and that I'll make a pig's ear of it if I try to push myself (like at the moment)

One thing I've found is that GBs have dominated the limited building time I have. I don't regret doing any of them, but I do regret that I havn't found time for non-GB projects (like Patchwork World ones), so after the T&E one's done (I feel obliged to do that one since I scabbed the decals for it from Thorvic), I'm resolved not to do any more.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

I keep a notebook and when an idea comes to me it gets jotted down. It may never get built (most of them don't) but at least I have the list as an aide memoir. Sometimes looking at it gives me completely different ideas.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pyro-manic

A quick count reveals I currently have 19(!!!) in-progress builds on my desk, and at least three others that have been put "in reserve" for the moment, either due to lack of enthusiasm or technical issues I haven't worked out how to deal with. I have an Excel spreadsheet which lists my stash, and each one has a field where I enter ideas for the kit. Some have many, some have none, and I also have a notebook with ideas, sketches, and thoughts for builds where I do not yet have an appropriate base kit to work from.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Geoff

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 22, 2010, 01:50:45 AM
I keep a notebook and when an idea comes to me it gets jotted down. It may never get built (most of them don't) but at least I have the list as an aide memoir. Sometimes looking at it gives me completely different ideas.

Pretty much what I do in a little blue book.

PR19_Kit

I feel positively lo-tech beside you lot!  ;D

All I do is file the ideas in my head, collect the requisite kits together and pile them in a 'Project Corner' in The Loft. Then months later I take a look at the pile and think 'What the devil's all that lot doing there?'  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pablo1965

Notebook, draws, sketch....are my tool to remember ideas. Sometimes it isn't necessary because I go in trance work and don't stop till I end. :cheers: