Good Wiffing bargain.......................well I think so

Started by Dork the kit slayer, November 16, 2010, 07:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dork the kit slayer

Ive been looking through the "latest buys" on here and some other sites,and so far nobody seems to have been inspired to buy the "new" re-releases of Tamiyas 1:100 scale aircraft.

At under£3 a pop ( mine cost £2.59) I think they are dammed good value.Build out of the box, new paint scheme good couple of hours Wiffing. Small enough to hand paint fancy schemes,cheap enough to cut and mix or cut and add to other scale kits.

This is the 104 done in a JASDF "North Cape" scheme. There are a shed load of subjects available,Draken,Viggen,Intruder,Bosun,A-7,Skyhawk.Thunderchief the list goes on.

Im thinking at these prices the kits are worth it for the clear display stands alone (who provides stands anymore,) The decal sheets offer multiple choice and can be used on almost anything,even mixing between kits. USN Draken?,Aussie A-7? Swedish Bosun?

Im thinking of getting  a few F-4Js just to do a collection of "real world" JASDF aggressor schemed, a collection that would require a garage load of space even in 72nd.

Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Cliffy B

Neat idea!  Would make for a nice display.  I like the idea of an all JASDF group.  Grab them all and add meatballs and aggressor schemes.  Do it, do it NOW!!!!  :wacko:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Weaver

Couldn't agree more -  I have banged the drum for them a bit. I recommended them to a wannabe returnee in a LHS who was aghast at the price of kits these days.

I bought the re-released F-4, mainly to see if it was feasible to graft the back end onto a 1/72nd Starfighter to make a supersonic Fouga fighter, which would be kind of like a scaled-down Voodoo with a V-tail. There was no time to do it for the French GB, unfortunately.

I have the Ben Hobby version of the IL-28, and a few of the Revell 1/100ths, some of which are the same moulds, arn't they?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

AeroplaneDriver

In the US the Hobby Lobby chain usually keep a good stock of the Tamiya 1/100 stuff...they do a 30-50% off special once a month or so, and usually have a 40% off coupon available...it's pretty easy to pick these kits up for $5-6...and I agree, they are great whif-fodder!
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Army of One

I have seen these advertised on some websites but never seen them in a shop.....looks like I will have to go down that route....my local MZ don't have them....does anyone know if they can do inter store transfers...??.......many thanks.....H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

chrisonord

I bought a Tamiya IL-28, to see about making it into a small twin engined attack aircraft or a 2 seat attack/trainer in 1/72nd scale.
If they do a mig 21 I wouldn't mind a couple of them to make into air to surface missiles.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Dork the kit slayer

Quote from: chrisonord on November 16, 2010, 01:34:30 PM

If they do a mig 21 I wouldn't mind a couple of them to make into air to surface missiles.
Chris.

Im pretty sure they do,but which style I dont know.

rickshaw

Quote from: Dork the kit slayer on November 16, 2010, 02:50:54 PM
Quote from: chrisonord on November 16, 2010, 01:34:30 PM

Chris.

Im pretty sure they do,but which style I dont know.

The Tamiya 1/100 MiG21:

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Geoff

They do a good Mig-19 as well.

Dork the kit slayer

Quote from: Geoff on November 17, 2010, 09:15:56 AM
They do a good Mig-19 as well.

Indeed they do........................and that has to go on the shopping list.

chrisonord

When I am mobile again I will have a look at one of those Mig-21's if my LHS have any in. They would make good missiles for sure.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Army of One

Chris.....E model and Model Hobbies have them in stock for £2.26...they stock some of the other Tamiya 1/100 planes as well........they have a flat rate postage by looks of it so maybe worth getting a couple or so.......H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!