Putting my whif gallery online

Started by MartG, November 02, 2010, 04:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartG

Just to let you good folk know I'm in the process of putting a gallery of my whifs online - the URL is http://homepages.tesco.net/martin.goldsack/whatif.htm . I.ve got some uploaded already, and I'm slowly adding more.
Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

rickshaw

Very nice.  For an "interim purchase" the Vigilante appeared to take on a life of its own.  Still trying to figure out how you'd have cut a vertical bomb bay into one in real life.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Maverick

Good stuff.

As for the Vigi bomb bay, the original had a tunnel between the engines that ejected it's load & additional fuel tank, so I don't see a real problem converting that tunnel into a conventional bay between the engines.

Regards,

Mav

MartG

All done now ( to date ) - I'd forgotten how many there were  :rolleyes:

Kerrillc

They are all very interesting and have very plausible back stories. I have always liked the Vigilante in the single seat form but the twin finned variant with the triple engines well that is just sweeettttt!!!.

Yes indeed, I think you could I LIKE IT!!!

Thanks for putting them out for  everyone to see.

K
If I am targetted by JMNs, I'm in good Company.

No, no, no! You do not die for your country, you make the other one die!

rickshaw

Quote from: Maverick on November 04, 2010, 07:58:25 PM
Good stuff.

As for the Vigi bomb bay, the original had a tunnel between the engines that ejected it's load & additional fuel tank, so I don't see a real problem converting that tunnel into a conventional bay between the engines.

Regards,

Mav

I can.  The fuselage frames wouldn't have had provision for it (no gaps).  In real life you'd have to cut the frames or replace them.  The fuselage would be significantly weaker, either way.  It'd be easier to build a new aircraft in the end, I suspect.  It might even be easier to perfect the rearwards ejection system (and in all likelihood cheaper).

MartG

The rearward ejection system itself worked fine - the problem was what happened to the bombs after they left the aircraft. It was found that they had a tendency to be pulled along by the aircraft's wake, so destroying any possibility of precision delivery of bombs.

rickshaw

Quote from: MartG on November 13, 2010, 02:00:29 AM
The rearward ejection system itself worked fine - the problem was what happened to the bombs after they left the aircraft. It was found that they had a tendency to be pulled along by the aircraft's wake, so destroying any possibility of precision delivery of bombs.

With nukes you don't need precision. ;)

I still reckon a good big 'chute would have fixed that problem.   ;D