Fairey Swordfish

Started by Daryl J., October 29, 2010, 02:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl J.

Since the Tamiya Floatfish is again available I wonder what it would look like if Hayao Miyazaki included the machine in his rumored sequel to Porco Rosso.   Porco would likely have an Italian hotrod as his main machine but I wonder if it would be a more gentlemanly and unarmed aircraft for he and Gina.   Perhaps it would instead be a Swiss banker's aircraft somehow woven into the plot say, perhaps, to fly from Lake Geneva to Italy to conduct business.   

I just can't put villains in the aircraft.   The Ar-196 serves well enough there.

Cheers,  (Black tea, hot, with heavy cream, sugar)
Daryl J.

Joe C-P

I figure the RN could buy some more to equip their new carriers, since they won't have any money left, let alone a navy.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

GTX

I included some RAN FAA Fairey Swordfish in my Southern Sea Eagles - John did some nice profiles too in case anyone wants some inspiration.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Daryl J.

QuoteI included some RAN FAA Fairey Swordfish in my Southern Sea Eagles - John did some nice profiels too in case anyone wants some inspiration.

Cool!

Daryl J.

Spey_Phantom

looks great, i got 2 swordfish (or is it swordfishes) in my stash, im planning on building one a Dutch Army Aviation torpedo bomber (early 1940's with Dorito roundels  :mellow:)

maybe convert it into a light bomber for land based operations, with up to 8 50lbs bombs  :rolleyes:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

pyro-manic

What about a replacement/alternative to a utility/insertion/army co-operation type like the Lysander or Norseman? An extra couple of seats or a cargo space in the fuselage, camo over matt black and red serials?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

TallEng

I've been doodling....
Or to be more precise cutting and pasting (in the old sense of the words)
I've got it in my mind that for some reason the Pegasus wasn't considered to
Do to well in the hotter areas of the world (Middle East etc)
So wanting to use a Swordfish in the Middle East I thought a new engine would be in order.
First thoughts were the Napier Dagger that I thought powered the H.P. heyford (I have the Matchbox
Kit in the stash) only it's not powered by the Dagger, but rather the Kestrel, which didn't really have enough
Power to be considered as a replacement for the Pegasus, But an early Merlin?

What do you think?

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Dizzyfugu

THAT is a rather nice idea! Reminds me of a Matchbox Swordfish I have in the stash somewhere, as well as half of a Defiant which could donate its Merlin nose...?  :rolleyes:

Operation Torch markings are also a "good" idea... A dust filter might be a good addition, though?

Very inspiring!  :thumbsup:

TallEng

Hmm.... Thinking about it, you'd want the dust Filter (Vokes?) that the Hurricane had
Under the nose and you'd need to add the under fuselage Radiator to cool the
Liquid cooled Merlin.

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Rheged

Lots of struts in all directions,
Curved and cut out centre sections,
The mighty Stringbag on its day,
Could, in its own amazing way,
Leave quite a mark on history's page;
A champion of the biplane age.

I don't know where I got this from, but it seems to fit here!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: TallEng on September 19, 2014, 05:52:30 AM
Hmm... and you'd need to add the under fuselage Radiator to cool the
Liquid cooled Merlin.

Regards
Keith

Good point!  :-\ Might make carriage of torpedos rather complicated?

Maybe mounting a chin radiator might help? I have some Matchbox Lancaster nacelles somewhere... these, with early exhaust stubs, could be the way to go and still keep the idea? The nose would not be as elegant as the original concept, but feasible - and even plausible. Uh, I have an idea, AND the parts...  ;D

Mossie

This was a Fairey monoplane project designed to the same spec as the Swordfish:

I could see a land based variant as British Stuka.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Dizzyfugu

Another idea I had was the use of the less powerful (and probably less scarse) Peregrine engine, from the Westland Whirlwind? Should have been available at the time, and a good second use on the Swordfish's airframe? Chin radiator would still be needed, though.

Gondor

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 19, 2014, 06:10:29 AM
Liquid cooled Merlin.

Regards
Keith

Maybe mounting a chin radiator might help? I have some Matchbox Lancaster nacelles somewhere... these, with early exhaust stubs, could be the way to go and still keep the idea? The nose would not be as elegant as the original concept, but feasible - and even plausible. Uh, I have an idea, AND the parts...  ;D

I would think that the look for the Merlin with chine radiator on the Swordfish could be better if it was more like the Whitley's installation

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kitnut617

Quote from: Gondor on September 19, 2014, 11:11:17 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 19, 2014, 06:10:29 AM
Liquid cooled Merlin.

Regards
Keith

I would think that the look for the Merlin with chine radiator on the Swordfish could be better if it was more like the Whitley's installation

Gondor

Or the Wellington Mk.II Merlin arrangement, which you can get a kit of (MPM) and which also has additional parts to go back to a radial
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike