PW's Cup Day Challenge 2010

Started by puddingwrestler, October 29, 2010, 01:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

Yes race fans, it's coming up to the first tuesday in november once more, and I intend to greet the 2010 Melbourne Cup with my traditional mixture of indifference and trying to build a complete model on cup day.
The rules are simple; you can start work at 5:00pm on Monday 1st November, and the model must be done by 9:00am on Wednesday 3rd November - basically from knocking off time the day before cup day until you have to get back to work the day after.
Last year I lacked ambition and built a simple wargames building. This year I shall build a Revell flat-nose Porsche in track-trim. Anyone who wishes to join in is most welsome, even if it means chucking a sicky because you live in some god forsaken spot which does not get the holiday (you poor fools!).
And since fancy fashionable hats are a Cup Day tradition, doing the whole thing in an awesome hat is th done thing - I shall be wearing a solar topee.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Taiidantomcat

So its a model in ...40 hours? I will be crazy enough to try it. My sense of duration for kits sucks though, I need to make sure to pick something I think I can do in 5 hours LOL

It can be any type of kit right? Cars, planes, tanks, figures etc?
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

puddingwrestler

Any kind of model at all. That includes scratch building and wargames terrain.

GTX

Oh these Victorians and their days off...

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

puddingwrestler

Anyone who wishes to take part, feel free to use thi thread as a repository of your labours.
To start the ball rolling, here's the kit I'm using. I have fondled it, looked at the instructions and thought about things. I am currently doing a few paint tests of a scrap bumper-bar to ensure my chosen pint combo doesn;t react or look crap.

pyro-manic

Now there's a challenge! I am in like an in thing. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

puddingwrestler

Velkommen Der Pyro!

And now, the 9:00am update.

Last night I had a meeting, so go home at 7:30, and immediately sprayed the body with white auto touch up spray. I also sprayed the chrome sprue with tamiya flat clear to cut the shine. Then started to assemble the interior and seats. A second hand audio book I'd ordered from ebay was on the mat when I got home, so obviously, I am listening to that as I work.
This morning I started things at about 7:30; second coats of both sprays, some putty work on the seats, and started assembly on the chassis. The flat clear went kinda foggy whih is anoying, but it's really only on the engine, which I'm detail painting anyway, so not such a big issue. I've sprayed all the other parts with Citadel chaos black. Since it's cold and wet today it's gone kinda funny and grey. Why an english company can't design a paint to work in cold and wet conditions is beyond me. It's no big deal since it's just an undercoat really.
I came up with a wonder plan to put big round racing number spots on the doors using some achievement stickers which I use at school (mostly I give them to Yr.12 kids as a joke - you'd be amazed at how excited an 18 year old media student can get at a wombat sticker!), but they turned out to be too big, so I'm back to the original plan of just applying numbers straight to the doors.
Anyway, I've masked the racing stripe on the body and am letting it settle a bit before I apply Tamiya brilliant blue.

Also ran foul of my camera's only real design fault (and it's a big one!) - it's got no battery meter, only a low battery warning, which triggers when the battery is so low it has to shut down... fortunately I had some spare batteries charged. Okay, so I had to raid one of the Wiimotes, but this is important!

puddingwrestler

And now the 1800 update:

nine hours later and all that is left is final polishing of the paintwork and final assembly.The interior's come out more glossy than I really wanted, but otherwise nothing major to report.
I'll post pics later tonight when things are done.
Due to things going faster than expected, I've started a Fiat G.91 matchbox kit, which I intend to give a flame job using decals from Round Two's recent spuced up re-issue of the AMT 51 Chev convertible kit. I've just been doing that to fill in time while I wait for paint to dry; it won't be done by the deadline.

puddingwrestler

And now the 21:00 update: All is complete!

Obviously I could have done a better job if I had taken longer - the masking was a bit lame and the parts clean up was not perfect. I didn't even test fit a lot of it (which is why I chose a recent(ish) kit - no way I could have done this using one of those old re-re-re-issued muscle cars of 50s machines which the car model makers seem to think we are satisfied with.
The blue is a little darker in person.

buzzbomb

None too shabby Puddings...

Spent the day being Destructo on my model room.. old desk out.. new flatpack kitchen modelling area in

puddingwrestler

Sounds like you and DF (last years other two participants) spent the day on mostly the same thing. DF's just bought a flat and he's renovating. I'd be dragged in too but I live over 130 kilometers away. So I get to make models  :thumbsup:

Taiidantomcat

Wish I could have participated but I am highly impressed with your model PW  :bow: :bow:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

pyro-manic

Here's my build thus far:

The desperate defence of Malta in 1940 was a key part of the war in the Mediterranean, and the Hal Far Fighter Flight was central to this. Equipped with obsolete biplanes, they put up a fierce fight, claiming at least one Italian Macchi 200 fighter and two confirmed SM79 bombers, as well as several more possible victories. The Hal Far flight was made up of Fleet Air Arm Sea Furies, that had been stored in crates after being offloaded from HMS Glorious earlier in the year. They were hastily re-assembled, and formed the only air defence unit available to Malta until Hurricanes could be delivered later in the summer. Only one aircraft, "Faith", survived the war, and is now on display at the National War Museum of Malta in Valetta.

Ok, this is a fairly simple what-if - the Gloster Gladiator doesn't get used on RN carriers, the Hawker Fury being used instead. This is the Revell reissue of the Matchbox kit, and is fairly nice.

Here's a picture of the kit unstarted, taken yesterday evening, followed by a shot of the now mostly complete model in primer. Paint next, and then final assembly. Should get it done tonight, all being well!

pyro-manic

OK, I got my Malta Fury finished, but dropped it and snapped the upper wing off. :banghead: Put it to one side so I don't smash the thing. It's still the fastest I've ever built a model, so thanks to PW for this anyway! :cheers: I'll post photos once I calm down and fix it.

Weaver

Nice build PW. :thumbsup: I thought about participating but had a hunch that life would bite me if I did: I was right: it bit me anyway.... :rolleyes:

In any case, the project I was thinking of doing was a tank which I've subsequently found out would be impossible anyway....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones