Sukhoi Su-81 Fairy

Started by gooberliberation, May 07, 2004, 04:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gooberliberation

Hey y'all. some of you might recognise the SN from ARC but i havent been there in ages.

Well, heres a little something i whipped up for another forum. The challenge was for an mid-21st century air dominance fighter. Unfortunately it was a star trek forum and hardly anyone really gave a shxt...

i couldnt decide on swept forward wings, or swept back... so i went with both!

so here's my swing wing flankerish fairy

specs:
dimensions: uh... really big

max speed: mach 2+

armanent: 20,000+lbs in 10 hardpoints and weapons bays forward of the engines.
2x 30mm cannons starboard. defensive laser array in tail-boom

engines: 2x 45,000lb turbofans with thrust vectoring

users: USSR, East Germany

modeled in rhinoceros3d

any suggestions? if anything sounds unrealistic... remember... its the future... :D

================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Ollie

Good job goober!!!

Looks very menacing!

Glad to have you aboard!!!

:wub:  

gooberliberation

AHH! angelfire is onto me and the forum's upload limit is killer and i cant do the *.txt file trick

so here it is, piece by piece
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

gooberliberation

gooberliberation

gooberliberation

ohhh yeah! thanks for the welcome!

Mairfrog

That's insane, I like it. :cheers:
Lunacy will stand you in good stead around here. B)

Actually, looking at it properly, the forward swept wings and the position of the intakes would allow it to fly long term in ground effect, like an ekranolpan.  :wub:  Instant doubling in range.

BTW what's this East Germany business? Are the commies making a come back? :o

gooberliberation

heh, ground effect? uhh i ment to do that :unsure: hahaha

yeah the commies are coming back. either that or alternate-future :P

any suggestions for a naval variant? even with fully swept wings its pretty big, so ill have to fold just ouboard the engines

Tophe

Quotemodeled in rhinoceros3d
Wonderful  « model-file »... :wub:
But... could you tell us how you went to Rhino-3D ? :huh:
As far as I am concerned, my way to 3-D aviation softwares has been this :
* The Catia tool used by Boeing and others is sold 1475 units (I am not sure we are allowed here to mention prices), too much for non-professionals.
* The Rhino-3D software used by magazines and others is sold 895 units (or 610 units discounted), too much for me too.
* The Rc-cad software, special for 3-D aircraft is sold 49.95 units , and I have registered and paid, even if I will try to use it only in some future.
As you have experience and skills about such computer-made models, can you tell us your way ? :)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

nev

Wow, amazing piece of design work  :wub:

Next question:  How & When are you going to build it?  :)  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

gooberliberation

i started using rhino through my school. i got to evaluate one of the earlier releases and i liked it good enough to uh, get myself a copy. i have 3dsmax too but my computer can't handle it. lol

Tophe

Thanks for the explanation. :)
Maybe several among us will follow your footsteps - and maybe with the 15 times cheaper Rc-Cad ( http://www.rccad.com/ )
Does your Rhino-3D handle the symmetry? I mean : if you are building the starboard wing, can you invert in one click to get the port one, or must you do it all again, hoping to do exactly the opposite? :mellow:  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

gooberliberation

there's a mirror function. most of the components are either basic shapes or cross sections swept along outlines.

happy 3d'ing! :)  

lancer

First off, welcome to the temple of lunacy . Good to have you on board.
Secondly, That is one awsome looking machine mate. Very SU47 ish.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Captain Canada

Looking good !

And you might as well add Canada to the user list, as we're not supporting Yankee defence firms any longer........

:P  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?