The return of El Diablo.

Started by chrisonord, October 25, 2010, 03:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

During the 1970's and up until the mid 80's, border skirmishes, counter insurgency missions and drug labs were all dealt with by one, yes one aircraft.
Close air support was a very one sided affair also when "El Diablo " was invited to the party. Already classed as a pensioner who should have been retired decades ago, the solitary A-26 counter Invader kept on going and going. The name was given to the aircraft by the drug cartels, and very soon, everyone knew what El Diablo was. Even some of the village schools had pictures drawn by children of El Diablo, on their walls and stories of hope justice written about it. Much of this was government propaganda, but the psychological effect on all people lasted for many years to come.
The aircraft was armed with a total of 14 .50 cal machine guns, rocket pods and free fall bombs both internally and externally and could put down a torrential storm of lead on its target, this some believe, was the cause of the aircraft's demise.
Whilst coming in to land from an anti drug lab mission, the weather was stormy and the wind was very strong and gusty, and the pilot came in a bit too hard on the landing. The aircraft bounced on its landing gear, and the wings sheared, then the landing gear collapsed. The aircraft slid to a halt on the sodden grass next to the run way, luckily its crew got away with minor injuries, but El Diablo was dead.
The aircraft was left where it stopped for a week, then it was lifted onto a low loader and taken to a hangar to be inspected. After it was inspected the verdict  was that the aircraft had shot her self to pieces, as it was carrying 6 more .50's than it should have had, and they had rattled the thing apart.
From July 1985, until March 2006 the wreckage sat in the same hangar awaiting its fate, some wanted to rebuild it as a gate guardian, most just wanted to weigh it in for scrap. Then one day, a low loader and crane arrived loaded it on and away it went, no one knowing where or why this had happened after all the years sat as a wreck.
The aircraft had been shipped to South Africa to be completely stripped down and rebuilt completely........and some!!! :wacko:
The wings were scrapped and replaced with a composite skinned  titanium alloy  set, allowing for extra fuel, and extra ordnance to be carried, along with the 6 wing mounted guns. The bomb bay has been sealed up and now contains an armoured fuel tank, and the ammunition for the all new titanium 30 mm six barrelled cannon, mounted in a turret to the rear of the former bomb bay. The nose guns have also been up graded, and now there are 2 .50's 4 20 mm cannon and 2 purpose built 60 mm grenade launchers. The avionics are all new and the weapons control suite is capable of operations in total darkness and all weathers. Under wing stores that can be carried include LGB's Mavericks, Sidewinders, rocket pods cluster bombs, Napalm, Hellfire missiles and free fall bombs.
The engines have been replaced with a pair of brand new Rolls Royce Cerberus Turbo prop engines, giving over twice the horsepower of the original piston engines, and cheaper and easier to maintain. The fuselage has been armoured and the 2 man crew (instead of 4) sit in a titanium bath tub, and the undersides and other vulnerable areas are now protected with kevlar armour.
The "Super Invader" stayed in South Africa for 14 months after its rebuild, being tested and evaluated for further conversions and upgrades.
The South African air force was so impressed, they immediately sourced 4 donor airframes and had them rebuilt to exactly the same spec as the Honduras air force version.
El Diablo was then returned home, no one apart from the higher ranking officials knew about  what had gone on with the aircraft, and when it was assembled and rolled out onto the apron, the crew and pilots all stood and gawped at what was stood on the tarmac, looking 50 times more menacing and evil than before, El Diablo was back, with vengeance..........
Pictures when its finished  ;D ;D :wacko:
Chris.   
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

anthonyp

Totally off topic, but they call me "El Techie Diablo" (the Devil's PC Tech) at work.  Subject made me laugh a good gut laugh.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Alvis 3.14159

Fantastic backstory, I can't wait to see El Diablo when he's done. I've always liked the A/B-26 Invader, and an extension of life is always good.

Alvis Pi

chrisonord

Thankyou Alvis  ;D
I have very nearly finished the build now, just need to put the front landing gear on, rear wheels and ordnance then touch some of the paint up and its done. I have been a bit comical with the decals also  :wacko:
Cheers,
Chris.

BrittMac

Holy crap!  I haven't been on the boards in a while, but I am glad I am looking at them now!  I cannot wait to see this bad boy.   :wacko:

chrisonord

Apart from a bit of touching up on the props, its finally done. I have weathered it down a fair bit and made it a bit scruffy looking, as the aircraft was out working virtually every day, pounding Cartel positions. I was really not sure about the big gun I put on it, but.....I thought what the hell  :wacko:

Cheers,
Chris.

thedarkmaster

Now that is impressive, love it mate, top clas......what are the engines if you don't mind me asking?
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

chrisonord

Quote from: thedarkmaster on October 30, 2010, 08:59:32 AM

Now that is impressive, love it mate, top clas......what are the engines if you don't mind me asking?
Cheers Tim,
The engines are scratch built from bits of stuff from the parts bins plastic tube AND LOTS AND LOTS OF PUTTY!!! ;D
The props are a pair of Aeroclub Shackleton ones.
Chris.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Gondor

You really need to talk to your local council to get a new display base for your aircraft photography as it is starting to look scruffy !

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

deathjester

That sir, is utterley brilliant!  What on earth is that thing sticking out the back though?  A turreted 105? 
GAU-8?  Metal Storm gun?  Whatever it is, well done!

chrisonord

Quote from: deathjester on October 30, 2010, 02:54:07 PM
That sir, is utterley brilliant!  What on earth is that thing sticking out the back though?  A turreted 105? 
GAU-8?  Metal Storm gun?  Whatever it is, well done!

That sir, is an all new titanium 30 mm 6 barrel cannon, with a hydro-lastic recoil eliminator fitted. Purpose built to kick arse so hard, its enemy will taste it for months  ;) ;D
Chris.

Pablo1965

BrittMac

Chris, that thing is one machine you would not want to be targeted by!  Heck, I bet even the decendants of people targeted by that thing would still get their butts kicked, if they lived long enough to have decendants!  Love the paintwork, it is first-rate.
Brandon

NARSES2

Great stuff, love the camo scheme  :wub:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.