Curtis F-40R(n) FAA 1954

Started by Gondor, October 24, 2010, 07:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

The Curtis F-40R(n) was a navalised development of the XP-40Q developed for the Royal Navy to replace their war weary Mk47 Seafires. These aircraft were a welcome addition to the FAA as the numbers of Seafires reduced and the war dragged on into 1954.

The following pictures of my model depict the F-40R(n) flown by Lt Cunningham one fateful day during February 1954 when he was re-tasked while on route to provide support to UN forces in the area north of the Han River. The re-tasking was to intercept an unknown aircraft heading parallel to the front line. Unfortunately do to miscommunication and the fact that dusk was approaching fast, Lt Cunningham mistook the aircraft that he described later in his report as a Soviet supplied Tu-4 bomber aircraft. With the low sun reflecting off the metal surfaces of the aircraft as he approached it, Lt Cunningham attempted to "shoot down" the bomber using the 3" ground attack rockets his aircraft was armed with. Fortunately for the crew of the RB-50 only one rocket caused any real damage and they managed to perform an emergency landing at an UN controlled airfield.

The American Mission in Korea stated later that the use by China or North Korea of the Tu-4 was "Bull" though they did issue instructions that in future there would be closer communication with their allies about such flights and that their aircraft would be painted with similar recognition markings to the FAA machines in the area.
There is a rumour that an instruction was given to the ground crew who maintained Lt Cunningham's aircraft that on no account was any "kill marking" to be applied to this or any other aircraft following this incident.

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

rickshaw

My, what a loooooong nose.

Looks great.  I assume the odd colours are due to the camera?  Looks a bit bilious or is that just what the stormy seas have done to the viewer?   ;D ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Captain Canada

Nice one...and that's no bull ! Love the photo from the top. Great stuff !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Colour probably a mix of the strip light in the kitchen, the flash and the camera.

I build the model for the Pegasus build for SMW 2010 so as long as OGL takes it to the show I dont have to pay for it  ;D ;

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

JayBee

I was at the Glasgow show yesterday and saw Gondor's F-40R(n).
Those photos do not do it full justice.
In real life the colours are perfect.
What I realy loved was the guy who in an authoritive voice said "That's a late Seafire, Yes".

Excellent model Alistair.  :thumbsup:

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Gondor

Quote from: JayBee on October 24, 2010, 11:42:50 AM
What I realy loved was the guy who in an authoritive voice said "That's a late Seafire, Yes".

Darn.... I missed that, must have been one of the few times I was away from the SIG display.

Colours used were Humbrol 32 and Humbrol 90

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on October 24, 2010, 11:42:50 AM

Magic!  :cheers: :thumbsup: :bow:

I can see his point, but the landing gear is a dead give-away to its real roots. Terrific thought processes and modelling Gondor.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

John Howling Mouse

You nailed it so well that I'll publicly admit I'm a bit jealous...great (believable) backstory, too.   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

ysi_maniac

Gorgeous!  :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :thumbsup:

But can you repeat the photos? ;D
Will die without understanding this world.

ChernayaAkula

Excellent!  :thumbsup: Looks very convincing!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

NARSES2

All that hard work paid off Alistair  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Tophe

The bubble P-40Q is a very rare version of the P-40, thanks to feature it that way... into even better ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Martin H

The model has survived its trip to the Northants swamps, And it is as good as Jim has already said.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.