Airbus WHIF Ideas

Started by P1127, May 07, 2004, 04:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P1127

Now it looks like the RAF will probably be leasing A330s as tanker/transports (though I still think they'll pull a last minute 'Oh, it turns out it will be more practical/cheaper if we buy these' line) was wondering about other variants (assumming the RAF standardises all it's large aircraft)

VIP transport - 'Blair Force One' - 32 Squadron in red/white with Blue striping

ELINT version - well something needs to replace the Nimrod R1s

AWACS - to replace the E-3s, rip out the electrics and radomes and hang them on an Airbus?

FOAS UAV launcher/controller - Gnat/Vulcan style

Any more?
It's not an effing  jump jet.

Shasper

anyone for hanging Stormshadow's on it? great alternative to combat aircraft :wacko:

only otherthing would be ASW, but thats already taken cared of (whenever youguys get those MRA4s)

Ves B)  
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

P1127

only otherthing would be ASW, but thats already taken cared of (whenever youguys get those MRA4s)

Supposed to start taxi-ing practice soon! :lol:  

Martin H

Quoteanyone for hanging Stormshadow's on it? great alternative to combat aircraft :wacko:
They (the MOD) are serously looking at that idea ves.

Hmmm ive got some storm shadows.....may on the P-4
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

lancer

The only problem about making converted airliners into front=line or near front line combat airxraft is the consequences for the civvie jobs.It could mean dozens of civvie types being downed by 'accident' OR the rules about downing civvie types will be swept away.

OK, I KNOW this is what if and I am liable to get blasted in some quarters for mentioning this, but, I do tend to think that militarised civvie jobs should be retained in the support role, ans yes I DO know that MPA birds are front line aircraft as well.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

lancer

The only problem about making converted airliners into front=line or near front line combat airxraft is the consequences for the civvie jobs.It could mean dozens of civvie types being downed by 'accident' OR the rules about downing civvie types will be swept away.

OK, I KNOW this is what if and I am liable to get blasted in some quarters for mentioning this, but, I do tend to think that militarised civvie jobs should be retained in the support role, ans yes I DO know that MPA birds are front line aircraft as well.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Ollie

Huh?

Lancer, it's just like the 707/C-135, but in reverse.

the C-135 was everywhere, just like the 707, but not much happened.

A RAF A-330 with the roundels on it will be a military aircraft, not a civvie one.

With the costs associated with a new aircraft, it's best to use what it's there and make it military.  Plus, airliners are so much more efficient than anything the military has!

P1127

QuoteHuh?

Lancer, it's just like the 707/C-135, but in reverse.

the C-135 was everywhere, just like the 707, but not much happened.

Well, except KAL 007....

Ollie

That was a 747.

747 always were fair game!!   :P  :dum:

But seriously, another Su-15 had shot an engine off a KAL 707 before that, the poor guys were lost and he shot the engine out so they had to land on a frozen lake!

:unsure:  

gooberliberation

how about a UCAV mothership?
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Mairfrog

How about a psy-ops sky writer, cruising about at 30000ft leaving vapour trails that spell 'Your mother is a whore' or 'Tony says Hi'?  :dum:  :dum:  :dum:  

nev

I like your Radish-esque suggestion :D

On a more serious note, military aircraft today are increasingly becoming little more than launch platforms with the advent of the latest gen of long range super-smart smart weapons.  A330s loaded with Storm Shadows is a very viable idea.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Davey B

Hmm, time to put the Vulcan back into production methinks...  :D  :dum:  

lancer

Ok, time to 'go with the flow'  I suppose. If the A330 is going to be used as a stand off missile launcher, then it would be of benefit to convert the fuselage  gby adding a rotary launcher which could be reloaded in flight. with the size of the A330 it could certainly accomodate at least one set of reloads. Negates the wing pylons and the associated drag, albeit a small amout, and keeps the plane clean

Davey B

Like that proposal Boeing cooked up as a B-1 rival: stick a poo-poo-load of ALCM's in a 747 and drop 'em out the back like parachutes out of a Beverley...