Sea Vixen Zwilling

Started by kitnut617, June 05, 2010, 08:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

While rumaging through the stash boxes looking for something else, I pondered over the 1/72 C-5 Galaxy I've got.  Then while reading the C-5 in Action book later, got to looking at the photo of a Twin Galaxy model which is stated to have graced the Lockheed front lobby for quite some time.  It struck me that the tail arrangement for this aircraft looked a lot like a Sea Vixen's.

I got to thinking about that last night and I've got something in mind for a Twin Sea Vixen, a heavy fleet defence interceptor of sorts.  Expanding on my idea for the Sea Harrier F.13 I've started, this would go the same route of the UK developing their own AIM-54 Phoenix type missile using a Martel type body, and they needed a big aircraft to use it.  This Twin Sea Vixen would have two fuselages but I'm not going with a bunch of tail booms, I'll stick with two fins/rudders but mount them on top of the fuselages with the tailplane in it's usual position, just a bit wider in width and maybe wider in chord.  The center wing section would be parallel chord and the main wheels will be moved to the center of the fuselages but with Canberra size wheels, these would retract forward and rotate 90 degrees like an F-14/A-6 u/c does (I like that system, the mechanical arrangement intrigues me). I'm thinking up to 8 AIM Martels hanging of the pylons ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

raafif

I thought this thread was only on Twin-Vixens & went thru all pages before I got here !

Anyway, someone did a twin-Vixen model some years back.  Can't find the pic on my drive but it must have been on Hyperscale, the original What-If, ARC or another commonly known a/c modelling site.

Have done up a photo of a Twixen in flight & will post it here in the next few days when my dial-up is a bit faster.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

kitnut617

Sorry mate, this is my "musings" page and I change the header to reflect my latest thinking.

I'd like to see the Twixen   :thumbsup:

raafif

1 Twixen coming up !!

not very sophisticated, did it in 10mins but the booms are on the fuselages -- still had to paste in a "filler" section of horiz. stabilizer tho.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

pyro-manic

Ooh, that's interesting! Use Phantom parts for the exhaust/tail sections (four Speys!), beef up the tail booms to hold more fuel, and Maybe lengthen one nose section to allow tandem seating?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

kitnut617

Quote from: raafif on June 10, 2010, 02:23:50 AM

Yes, something like that (I like that BTW), only parallel chord for the center section right from the fuselages and lose all the booms on the wings (I was thinking of re-profiling all the intakes to match whatever sweep the wings did once the booms are gone). I would move the tail forward a tad but maybe not as far forward as the original. Also I'm thinking of Vulcan style canopy on the port fuselage, no canopy on the starboard one but will go with two radomes and radars, bifocal sort of idea with the radar.  I was thinking Phantom style under fuselage but a Jaguar' would work just as well (or a Mitsubishi F.1/2 or Mirage F.1 [runs for cover])