Spraying Klear/Future

Started by JayBee, October 20, 2010, 12:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

A very simple question. If you are spraying youe model with Klear/Future, what do you use as a solvent to clean the airbrush?

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Mossie

Jim, if you clean it straight after you should be able to use water.  A little bit of washing up liquid   If you let it dry or the nozzle clogs up then a soaking in household ammonia would be required, although I've found Fairy Power Spray does a good job of removing Klear.  Never tried it on an airbrush though.

I've been told by several people that you don't need to airbrush Klear as long as you put it on thickly.  I've been doing it that way, although I still get the odd run that needs taking care of.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

matrixone

I have recently switched to using Future as a clear gloss coat on my models and really like the stuff. For cleaning it out of my airbrush I keep very hot water nearby to put in the airbrush cup and spray away, then I use some Windex and also put some of that through my airbrush. The final step is to spray some thinner through it just like I would do after spraying model paint. So far I have had no problems with using Future through the airbrush.

Matrixone

Army of One

A question I was going to ask as well......many thanks for the advice.....thanks to JayBee for asking.... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

beowulf

water, squirt of glass cleaner with ammonia in it, water again

i used to brush it on but i use a spare AB just for Klear these days
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

The Wooksta!

I was advised never to spray the stuff as it's toxic.  The only time I used it, I hated the finish and decided to never bother again.  I just use it for dipping canopies now.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

John Howling Mouse

I use water with about 20% Windex Cleaner (for the ammonia).
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Dork the kit slayer

Are we part of Britmodeller now? or am I getting my forums mixed up?......or am I in the middle of a dejavu er dejevew,dayjareview......................(oh sod it) senior moment.
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

beowulf

Quote from: The Wooksta! on October 21, 2010, 05:53:12 AM
I was advised never to spray the stuff as it's toxic.  

but you could say the same about just about anything that goes thro an AB......no worse than using enamels with thinners....even atomised waterbased acrylics will do you harm if you inhale them.........its all about taking proper precautions...a decent spray booth with extraction for a start
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: beowulf on October 23, 2010, 04:59:21 AM
I was advised never to spray the stuff as it's toxic.  

but you could say the same about just about anything that goes thro an AB......no worse than using enamels with thinners....even atomised waterbased acrylics will do you harm if you inhale them.........its all about taking proper precautions...a decent spray booth with extraction for a start

Very true and good reminder to us all: I *usually* wear a respirator, too.  I have twin, exp-proof exhaust fans to pull the fumes as well.  Those few times when I've not worn the mask, I've sure noticed the effect on my lungs, even from a quick session of water-based acrylics.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Martin H

I was advised never to spray the stuff as it's toxic.  The only time I used it, I hated the finish and decided to never bother again.  I just use it for dipping canopies now.

A friend of mine is the marketing bod for ADH publishing and was doing the same job for SAM publications at one point, while he was with SAM-P he contacted Johnsons to see if they would be interested in advertising in the model press. They where very interested untill they asked how we use the stuff. As soon as he mentioned that we spray it, The johnsons guy broke into a cold sweat. Informed my mate how lethal the stuff can be as a vapor and backed away from getting formaly involved with the hobby with their product. And now in Europe we have the "new" formula that is next to useless. That was to do with meeting EU hazchem regs thou.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

AeroplaneDriver

I used to airbrush it then clean up with a 50/50 windex/water mix...then Martin posted the info about the Johnson's person throwing a wobbly when he found out we hobbyists were spraying it, so I switched to brushing it on.  I use a good quality flat 3/4in brush and it goes on very nicely. I normally do 2 thin coats.  Once it's dry you really cant tell that it was brushed instead of airbrushed.  Brush cleanup is super-easy too...a squirt of windex and a hot water rinse.  Safer, easier, and works just as well IMHO...
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Joe C-P

I've never tried spraying it, either. But then, many of the spray bombs we use contain toxins that shouldn't be breathed!

I always dip canopies and other clear parts at least a couple times before gluing them in place. And it brushes really quite well and level.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

frank2056

Here's the MSDS for Future.
Looks no more hazardous than most acrylic paints. Here's the MSDS for Testor's Acryl

I've been spraying Future for years (and I use a mask and a paint booth) without any issues.

ChrisF

I too have sprayed it (Well the new Pledge version) with no problems at all... I do however use a spray booth with extractor...

As for cleaning window cleaner, followed by my usual airbrush cleaner (Vallejo) when im completely done seems to work fine for me.. ive had no probs at all :)