Fire Fighting Bomber Conversion Query

Started by Cobra, October 20, 2010, 12:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, Don't Know if this has been Covered on But........What If Some Jet & Turboprop Bombers were Converted for Fighting Forest Fires? some of the Bombers i was Thinking about were:TU-16,TU-22,TU-95/142, Vulcan,B-52,B-47,Etc. Think Any of them could be used? What say You? Thanks for looking.Dan

Maverick

Well, they'd carry beaucoup retardent & have onboard systems for navigation & 'attack'.  Don't know if they'd carry as much as say the Il-76 or the like, but one would think they'd be a capable platform barring fatigue life.

Regards,

Mav

Hobbes

Yes, you'd want a platform that's optimized for low-level attack. But even then, the most useful firefighting aircraft are the ones that can take on water while flying. None of these can do that.

noxioux

Quote from: Hobbes on October 20, 2010, 01:23:01 AM
Yes, you'd want a platform that's optimized for low-level attack. But even then, the most useful firefighting aircraft are the ones that can take on water while flying. None of these can do that.

My thoughts are a repurposed B-1B.  Carries more than a B-52, is faster than anything else on that list. . .  AND it would look super-sexy in firefighting colors.  I may have to steal your idea!  My old 1/48 B-1B got hammered, and is in need of serious work.  Repurposing it as a firefighter would make an impressive whif for next year's IPMS show. . .

How about running the retardant/water the same way they'd run fuel with a heavy load.  Take off with a lighter load, and fill up in the air for both gas and retardant.  Besides the fact that it would probably be horribly inefficient, it would still be cool.

Apologies for the bump!

anthonyp

So totally covered before that we have a long standing GB proposed for it.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Cobra

Good to hear.noxioux,If My Idea inspires You,Go ahead. but could you post or Email me a Pic of your B-1B when you finish it as a Fire fighting Plane? Stay Cool.Dan