Truck-based Artillery

Started by dy031101, October 06, 2010, 07:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dy031101

Being from Taiwan and consequently believing that everything that has a gun should have it in an armoured (lightly or otherwise) turret, I originally didn't quite appreciate the idea of Caesar SPH when it first appeared......

As time went by, however, I increasingly see it as a good replacement for towed artilleries- when you are only going to move between prepared firing positions, armour protections can take a back seat whereas a properly-designed truck-based SPH can be more quickly-deployable than towed pieces (the same reason why I began to like the WWII M3 GMC, other than it being a halftrack......).  The use of truck-mounted carriage can potentially ease the logistical burden of having self-propelled artilleries by drawing commonality from existing trucks.

Of course, given the ROCA's infamously-stubborn resistance to innovations, however slight those innovations might be, I suspect that they'd be content with keeping those WWII-vintage nice and clean while being outranged by all potential adversaries imaginable......  :banghead:

From top to bottom:

• CAESAR 155mm SPH from France
  • SH-1 155mm SPH from PRC
  • SH-2 122mm SPH from PRC
  • Undesignated 155mm SPH from ROC
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Maverick

Some nice pics Dy.

The only real disadvantage I could see of such systems would be their vulnerability to counter-battery fire, interdictors or even small arms fire.  Something like the Czech Diana brings the whole armoured thing into being, whilst remaining on a mobile, wheeled chassis.  That being said, a bigger gun on an unarmoured platform would work with its superior range and if you had air superiority over your rear areas or organic SPAA systems.

Regards,

Mav

Fulcrum

Good idea to put a 155mm M777 or G-5 on the back of a HEMTT 10ton truck.

Or...

take that HEMTT, move the engine to the rear & cover it with armour & put that 155mm DANA turrent on.
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

dy031101

Reposting an experimental HMMWV-mounted M101 105mm howitzer carried out in Taiwan.

Although to provide low-tier units some kind of artillery assets, I wonder if the twin 120mm mortar (picture enclosed below) would be better.

Quote from: Maverick on October 06, 2010, 10:23:59 PM
The only real disadvantage I could see of such systems would be their vulnerability to counter-battery fire, interdictors or even small arms fire.

What part are considered vital in such a SPH?  I don't think it has to be heavily armoured (as trucks already in service with the would-be operators would be my basis of choice, and it first has to bear the load of the artillery, ammo, and FCS), but is there some kind of anti-shrapnel lining available?

Quote from: Fulcrum on October 07, 2010, 12:56:03 AM
Good idea to put a 155mm M777 or G-5 on the back of a HEMTT 10ton truck.

If air-transportability is no issue, I'd suggest a longer barrel for M777's self-propelled application.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Maverick

Dy, I guess the logical progression of uparmouring a softskin would be akin to the development of the armoured Hummer.  Of course, such mods would detract from the payload that the vehicle could carry so it's a kind of double edged sword.  As for vital components, that would depend on whether you were talking about the actual vehicle or the type of other vehicles required. 

For vehicles, I would suggest at the bare minimum the actual arty piece along with a supply vehicle.  You could forego armour on the resupply vehicle as a weight or cost saving measure.

For components, the arty vehicle would obviously have the arty piece, ammo storage & crew accomodation at a bare minimum.  The Priest comes to mind as a minimalist type of vehicle (altho being tracked).

Regards,

Mav

Weaver

At the big end of the scale, there's the Bofors Archer, which has a seriously armoured cab and an autoloader:

I wonder what's the smallest truck you could mount the Royal Ordnance L118 105mm light gun on?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones