Colonial "Sphinx" Fighter

Started by Atlantis, October 02, 2010, 08:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantis

The Sphinx originally began as an  effort to design a long range heavy aerospace fighter bomber  for the Colonial space-based forces (Navy and Marines) based on the Gryphon platform. However, as the craft moved forward in development, it began to look nothing at all like the original design,  which looked like a more faceted Gryphon mk. II with variable-sweep wings. Eventually, the design came to incorporate the DRADIS array like the one in use on the Viper mk.II following Colonial Dynamics' merger with  Graystone Aerospace; the final product resembled in several ways the Tauron War era  Viper. The Sphinx first saw combat action towards the middle of the first Cylon War. It later saw action in peacekeeping operations on Tauron and Sagittaron following the war. Also, the Sphinx was immortalized in the cult sci-fi classic "Zero Hour" where due to a spacial anomaly, the Battlestar Nimrod is sent back to the time just before the Tauron attack on a Caprican luxury liner which led to involvement in the conflict. It also gained mainstream fame in the film "Gunslinger" which followed exploits of young aviators at the elite Colonial  Fighter Weapons School (Gunslinger program) .

This particular aircraft is  a member of the 76th Colonial Space Fighter Wing "Knights of Cydonia" based off of the Battlestar Nimrod during the CW 1. It's wearing the early war gray and red "High Vis" paint scheme.

The model is a combination of the Lindbergh F-8 crusader and a Revell Snaptite Tomcat that I hacked up and rearranged.

False Canopy ( Actually the nose gear bay)
I still need to add decals

Cobra

Very Cool & Well Done :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers:Dan

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Taiidantomcat

Great looking! How did you do it?  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Atlantis

Time, patience, and a generous helping of putty.

Cliffy B

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

arkon

the plastic gods demand sacrifice

Atlantis

Some "Action" shots I did this afternoon.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

deathjester

Brilliant!  I love those in action shots - how did you do those?

MiB

Good model, great photos!! The Tomcatrsair or Corscat  ;D ;D ;D ;D
My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

Atlantis

Quote from: deathjester on October 17, 2010, 12:30:38 PM
Brilliant!  I love those in action shots - how did you do those?

I used one of my dad's microphone  stands and sewing thread to suspend the model in the air. After taking the photos, I used GIMP to edit out the strings  and add jet exhaust and lens flares.

ysi_maniac

Love design and in flight photos!
Will die without understanding this world.

anthonyp

Awesome, awesome, awesome!!!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man