In Progress Thread

Started by Keith Diamond, October 02, 2010, 10:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Diamond

I've got several things going on, so I thought I'd just make one thread

First, a 1/48 Academy F-15

This has been in progress forever and I keep getting sidetracked with other projects.  Honestly, except for the cockpit, I haven't had too much fun with this kit.  Fit issues galore, filling, sanding...

Second, a pair of 1/72 Hasegawa F-20s

This has been the opposite.  Great fit, real fun so far, and I'm looking forward to finishing these.

Finally, a pair of 1/48 Kitech (Zhengfedu) F-CK-1s

A lot going on here...

- I've marked on the fuselage where I want to add/remove panel lines.  I'm not going for accuracy here.  Rather, I'm shooting for something that looks right without being too much of a headache.  So that means fixing what I can, getting close enough for others, and ignore what I do not have the skills for.
- I'm using a pair of TD SJU-5s and TD SJU-17s.  I didn't have enough SJU-17s, so I grabbed a set of SJU-5s. 
- The AGM-88s in the background are for one of the F-CK-1s that I"m building in USAF markings
- The kit came with some missiles I can't identify, but they look similar to Harpoons.  They were poorly detailed, so I grabbed some Harpoons from the Hasegawa weapons set and cut them to size.
- The kit fuel tanks are grossly undersized.  So I looked through my spares box.  At first I wanted to kit bash three different fuel tanks, but due to the size and shape differences, it would have been too difficult.  So, I combined two F-16 centerline tanks instead.  The side profile will look decent, but I know the front/back will look too oblong.  But again, I'm going for looks without too much headache.
Man, we should have cloned twenties. Jackson wouldn't have given a poo-poo.

ChernayaAkula

The stretched drop tanks look good!  :thumbsup: Remind me a bit of the MiG-29's centre-line tank, which also has that long-ish, banana-shaped look.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Tophe

A Mistel with mother 1/48 F-15 and children two 1/72 F-20 would be hilarious... Will you dare? :blink: :lol:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Keith Diamond on October 02, 2010, 10:36:21 AM

- I've marked on the fuselage where I want to add/remove panel lines.  I'm not going for accuracy here.  Rather, I'm shooting for something that looks right without being too much of a headache.  So that means fixing what I can, getting close enough for others, and ignore what I do not have the skills for.

I'm going for looks without too much headache.

We have similar philosophies :lol:  Can't wait to see more!  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Pablo1965

More, and more proyect, It's a dream :thumbsup:

Keith Diamond

Haven't worked on anything but the F-CK-1.  Lot of work on this kit, and I was kinda busy working on a presentation for one class and a huge test for another.

Just about all of the weapons and pylons are ready... sanded, drilled out the backs, etc...  The upper fuselages have detail added.   I scribed some new panel lines, and added fastener detail.  Just need to sand away the excess putty around the vertical stabs.  I'm getting the pilots ready as well.

Here are those missiles I made from some AGM-84s.  The kit missiles were poorly detailed so I cut the -84s short, and added the extra parts from the kit.

One fuel tank almost complete.  It turned out pretty well.  I just need to add the fins.

anthonyp

I am eagerly awaiting these builds.  How does the 1/48 Ching-kuos compare to the Eagle?  I've got a few 1/72 Kiddyland Ching-Kous, and I'm unsure of how accurate they are.

I too have an F-CK-1 going to the USAF, but the others to the USN/USMC as Hornet competitors.  What are you building all the other models you've got going as?
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Keith Diamond

Quote from: anthonyp on October 07, 2010, 09:21:29 PM
I am eagerly awaiting these builds.  How does the 1/48 Ching-kuos compare to the Eagle?  I've got a few 1/72 Kiddyland Ching-Kous, and I'm unsure of how accurate they are.

I forgot to take a picture to compare the sizes.  But the Ching kuo is about the size of a Viper.  It looks like a cross between a Viper and a Hornet, but its distinctly more Viper in regards to size.

This is what the Kitech kit looks like (yep, its a Zenghfedu kit)
http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/mod/idfpreview.htm

Based on the what I've seen at Modeling Madness for the Kiddyland kit, I'm inclined to believe they were manufactured by the same company.  Some things to note for the Kitech kit is that the instructions on the back show a single seater with a display stand, much like the Kiddyland kit.  Also, there is a single seat cockpit tub included and a few extra single seater parts that are not used in the kit.  I've never seen a Kitech 1/48 F-CK-1 kit, but imagine they either had plans to build one at some time, simply scaled up some 1/72 Kiddyland parts, or plan to release one later.

Quote from: anthonyp on October 07, 2010, 09:21:29 PMI too have an F-CK-1 going to the USAF, but the others to the USN/USMC as Hornet competitors.  What are you building all the other models you've got going as?

The F-15 will be in USN markings and both of the F-20s will be in ANG markings.

Pablo1965

Nice, I'm waiting exited anxiously :thumbsup: :bow:

Taiidantomcat

Excellent cockpits!  :o Its neat to see these aircraft types, pretty rare all things considered. I think this is the first build up I have seen of them
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Keith Diamond

Thanks guys!  Yeah, with the F-CK-1s, I wanted to go with something very different.

I've been busy with more important projects the past month, but I've worked on a few things with the F-CK-1s, including the pilots.

I've been practicing a new technique that I came up with a while back.  I first tested it on the pilots for the Academy F-15, then tried out a revised version on the my IDF F-111, and now I have something pretty close to what I was aiming for with these pilots.

I'll start a separate thread discussing what I came up with after I finish this post.

Here's the pilots in their cockpit

Keith Diamond

Small, quick update. 

They're both ready for the spray booth.  Yesterday I closed up/masked the cockpits, and added some details.  I added some plastic strip for the formation lights, needles for the AOA probes, and some spare F-16 probes/antennas around the forward fuselage. 

Keith Diamond

USAF and ROCAF colors are on!

sotoolslinger

Pretty pilots and pretty planes :wub: :thumbsup: I am looking forward to the tutorial on the dudes.
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Ian the Kiwi Herder

I L O V E that multi grey scheme on the RoC machine - inspired and inspiring ( = I'm going to steal it someday  :blink:)

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)