Yakovlev Yak.24 'Horse'

Started by TsrJoe, September 22, 2010, 05:16:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TsrJoe

just made a start on the Anigrand kit of the type, definately one for 'whiffing' methinks
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Weaver

I've got the 1/100th Plasticart one, which one day will be whiffed into a 1/72nd "Westland Belvedere Mk.2". I gave up trying to find a new front end for the Airfix Belvedere because nothing fitted it's egg-section fuselage, but the cockpit of a 1/100th Skycrane wll graft nicely onto the Yak and still take 1/72nd pilots.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

jcf

A model of a turbine powered development was exhibited in 1961.

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1961/1961%20-%201087.html

In Soviet Transport Aircraft Since 1945 Putnam 1968, the author, John Stroud, states
that nothing further was seen or heard about the project, making it likely that the design
was not pursued.

Weaver

The Plasticart one is of the turbine-powered civilian version, which AFAIK, was never built.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones '

jcf

Interesting that Plasticart did the turbine version.
There were two other civil versions tested; the 30 passenger 24A and the luxury 9 passenger 24K with picture windows.  ;D
All comrades are equal, but some are more equal than others. ;)

Weaver

Yes the Plasticart one is the Yak-24P as per that Flight Global article. The turbine installation's very neat actually: one engine behind the forward rotor facing aft, with 180 deg. exhaust nozzles, and one in front of the aft rotor facing forwards. It's very much like a logically re-designed Belvedere, i.e. square section cabin and external engines and the 1/100th Yak fuselage is a damn near perfect match in length and height for the 1/72nd Belvedere one.

- Indiana Jones '

TsrJoe

John Lacey 'maverick' very kindly illustrated some optional Ilmavoimat Yak.24's for inspiration, #2 methinks def looks ideal  :bow:

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Fulcrum

Hmmm... Yakolev could modify the dimensions & could easily become a equivalent of the Chinook, just saying...
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

jcf

Quote from: Fulcrum on September 30, 2010, 12:10:20 AM
Hmmm... Yakolev could modify the dimensions & could easily become a equivalent of the Chinook, just saying...

Chinook? Why so puny Comrade?

Is great Yak 60:
http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/yak-60.php

ChernayaAkula

Looks like that Yak-60 would make a nifty air-mobile bridge. Rest the cockpit on one side of the trench and the rear end on the other and just drive thru. :lol:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

dy031101

It probably doesn't mean anything, but what's that tank illustrated as the underslung load?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Maverick

Funnily enough, it looks like a T-34 (hull-wise anyway).

Regards,

Mav

NARSES2

Quote from: dy031101 on September 30, 2010, 07:25:48 PM
It probably doesn't mean anything, but what's that tank illustrated as the underslung load?

It's not the underslung load, it's the defencive armament  ;D Agree with Mav it is T-34 ish although with a touch of the latter light tanks - T-70 type ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Maverick

Chris,

A T-70 series light tank would be the logical choice to be sure.  That being said, I think it's a T-34/85 on closer inspection with the larger turret, although that's naturally to the rear.  Whether the beastie could hang an actual MBT rather than a light tank is debatable I guess, depending on how tough the helo was supposed to be.

Regards,

Mav

TsrJoe

Yak.24 with underslung GAZ. truck