The Ultimate 24 Hour Group Build

Started by NARSES2, September 15, 2010, 03:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Apologies for the lack of advanced info but I only realised the programme was on myself just before it started !

BBC 4 last night had a documentary about the attempt by a group of Vickers workers at the then new Brough site to break the world record for constructing a bomber. The record had been held by the US at 48 hours and they wanted to build it in 36. Well they built a Wellington in 10 mins under 24 hours !!!! They even had to wake the test pilot up to take it for it's first flight  ;D Some fantastic footage of the record breaking construction and great interviews with those who are still alive and a former Wimpey pilot. Some of those involved in the record busting attempt had never seen the footage before as it was mainly for the US market. Knowing the way the Beeb works they will show it again. So keep an eye out for "Wellington Bomber" or it might be on the I Player.

Then watched "First Light"...moving.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Kerrillc

It's on I Player for another six days. I shall watch that later.

EDIT: I had a thought went back to the BBC website and found the schedules for broadcasting for that programme on the BBC.

Tue 14 Sep 2010   20:00   BBC Four
Wed 15 Sep 2010  01:20   BBC Four
Thu 16 Sep 2010   01:15   BBC Four
Sat 18 Sep 2010   22:00   BBC Four
Sun 19 Sep 2010  19:30    BBC Two
If I am targetted by JMNs, I'm in good Company.

No, no, no! You do not die for your country, you make the other one die!

PR19_Kit

Chris,

LOVE the thread title, had me laughing out loud once I realised you WEREN'T talking about us doing a 24 hr build!

The film was superb I agree, and the way some of the builders could remember such fine details about the event was amazing. I wonder what happened to the aircraft itself, and if it was identified as the '24 hr Wimpy' when it was in RAF service?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 15, 2010, 08:18:28 AM
Chris,

LOVE the thread title, had me laughing out loud once I realised you WEREN'T talking about us doing a 24 hr build!

The film was superb I agree, and the way some of the builders could remember such fine details about the event was amazing. I wonder what happened to the aircraft itself, and if it was identified as the '24 hr Wimpy' when it was in RAF service?

Wondered that myself. If I could remember the serial I'd look it up. I think if anything dramatic had happened though the programme would have mentioned it ? May well have gone on a fund raising/morale building tour though.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

They mentioned the serial at least twice in the prog, I wish I'd have made a note of it now.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

tigercat

anthonyp

That's so awesome, but weren't there fighters built and tested in under a day back then as well?
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

NARSES2

Quote from: anthonyp on September 15, 2010, 06:08:08 PM
That's so awesome, but weren't there fighters built and tested in under a day back then as well?

Probably for morale/propaganda reasons yes but a bomber is slightly larger and far more complex etc