Spirit of Habbaniya GB

Started by tigercat, September 13, 2010, 04:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

RAF Habbaniya was a RAF training base besieged by Iraqi forces in WW2 which fought off the iraquis with a mixture of obsolete transports and trainers.

The idea would be to take an aircraft or vehicle preferably but not necessarily in a support role  and adapt it for a combat role it was not intended for

For example Cannon armed Tiger Moths  or Kubelwagens with a 20mm turret.

ysi_maniac

This is a very interesting idea, IMO. :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

dy031101

That'd include improvised armoured vehicles I assume?

My maddest imaginations include putting a M8 HMC turret on top of a RV......  :wacko:
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Weaver

Lots of potential there: the RAF crash/refuelling/recovery sets have a range of soft-skin vehicles that could be adapted by cunning fitters. Plane-wise, there are kits of Magisters, Masters, Oxfords, Ansons etc, all of which could be armed to varying degrees.

Weapon-wise, well an RAF base should have .303 Brownings and Vickers K guns aplenty lying around. Later in the war there might be 20mm Hispanos, but they were in short supply for a lot of the time. How about an improvised anti-tank gun made from a Vickers 40mm pod taken from a scrapped Hurricane and mounted on an improvised carriage?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

dy031101

Po-2 earned quite a name as a night intruder.

There ought to be other aircraft like it that could be used in a similar fashion?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

PR19_Kit

My Dad was there at the time!  :o

He told horrendous tales about building a Vickers Vernon transport from spare parts (!) and grafting bomb racks onto it from the huge number of Audax trainers they had at the base. Then they'd fly the bombed-up Vernon off in the small hours and land on the desert behind the enemy lines. As the sun came up they'd take-off, fly at ULTRA-low level over the Iraqi gun positions, lob out all the bombs and plunk down on the playing fields they used for runways! The normal runways were under the guns on the escarpment so they used the playing field on the other side of the hangars.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Taking inspiration from the Yugoslav wars, how about improvised launch rails for 3" RPs on the back of a truck? it would be a sort of Heath Robinson Katyushka..... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Doc Yo

Would a Wellesley NF. Mk 1 fit in there
somewhere?

kitbasher

Quote from: Doc Yo on September 17, 2010, 12:06:35 PM
Would a Weelesley NF. Mk 1 fit in there
somewhere?
Ay Caramba!
Mid-upper turret, looks like a podded radar and what's in the other pod?  A Molins gun gets my vote!!!
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

tigercat

Nice Wellsley

lots of scope for improvised AFV

Doc Yo

Fixed the spelling :banghead:  Anyway-the idea was an improvised NF to contend with Italian night raids
pre-Afrika Korp. The turret is one of the Nacelle caps from a Polar Lights Enterprise with some notches
cut for what looks a little like a 20mm Oerlikon ( if you squint. at a distance ). Radar would have been thin on
the ground so it carries a searchlight under the starboard wing, and a pack of 4 .303 MGs under the port
wing, likely nicked from a Blenhem NF Mk I.  I like the Wellesley, as I have a long fascination with long-winged
birds, and could see a little more conventional approach with a couple of gun packs installed in place of the
odd bomb carriers of the original...or cannons tucked into the same...