Out of the Box Whiffs

Started by GTX, September 11, 2010, 02:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Hi folks,

Was looking for something esle when I stumbled across this:

More here

A straight out of the box whiff of a post war Hughes HK-1 Clipper!

What other similar finds have you made?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

anthonyp

Well, all the F-19's from the 80's, the Mig-37 from Testors/Italeri, the first F-117 kits by AMT/ERTL, the first Revell "Advanced Tactical Bomber," and from the 70's, I've seen some Airfix (maybe Entex?) Concordes in Braniff markings.  Also the Lockheed L-500 by Entex which is a civvie C-5 by any other name.

Then there's the Top Gun series of movie planes (at least the "Mig-28" and the F-14 in... odd... markings).

There's also the old carrier from the "Supercarrier" TV show that was supposed to portray the USS Georgetown, CVN-67.

Too lazy to find pics, but I've got them ALL in the stash (except the Concorde and L-500, which pop up on Ebay every-so-often)  ;D
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

AeroplaneDriver

The Braniff Concordes are semi-whiffs...they were never painted in BI colors, but Braniff operated subsonic Concorde service between Washington and Dallas for a few years...one of the guys I work with flew for Braniff then and actually a Concorde Type Rating on his license...I think its a BAC122 or something.  A VERY rate Type Rating on an FAA license!!!  

[url]http://www.concordesst.com/history/events/braniff.html/[url]
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

anthonyp

Still, they qualify as whifs in model form  ;D

Getting back to insta-whiff, Anigrand has quite a few, ranging from his OK.092 Soviet Shuttle to the 1/72 Skyflash X-15 wannabe, not to mention his Luft 46 stuff, as well as his 1/72 X-20 stuff with not only the orbiter, but the XMS-1 launch vehicle, as well as his 1/144 RLV stuff (the X33, X-34 that was never launched, and the "X-40"), the HL-20 in the Lifting bodies set, as well as the numerous 1/144 bonus kits in that series (X-15C, Be-42, Yak-44, just to name a few).
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

AeroplaneDriver

How about the Monogram Snap-Tite "Orient Express" Spaceplane?  I've got a couple of those in the stash...I think the boxed the same kit with Military decals too.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

philp

AZ has released several with What if markings:
Spiteful
Seafang
Ki-78
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

NARSES2

As Philip has pointed out AZ have done a few now as have RS. The AZ boxes are even marked as "What if ?".

Special Hobby have just released the Ki-115 in 2 boxings one of which is marked as "Battle of Tokyo 1946"  :thumbsup:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SH72199

Just a reflection of the growing (at least on this side of the pond) acceptability of the world of wiffery. As any of the UK boys will tell you, you see more and more wif's on club stands at every show and the availabilty of them straight out of the box can only encourage more to model them  :thumbsup:

When we attended our first "E-Day" and met the Czech wif boys they were pleasantly suprised to find there were others of a similar ilk. There have always been a "lot of us" it's just that it's now acceptable other then amongst some real old die hards. And the world would be a boring place if we were all the same  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

lancer

QuoteWhen we attended our first "E-Day" and met the Czech wif boys they were pleasantly suprised to find there were others of a similar ilk. There have always been a "lot of us" it's just that it's now acceptable other then amongst some real old die hards. And the world would be a boring place if we were all the same

There will always be some old duffers who think we'll never be suitable for 'polite' society....
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on September 11, 2010, 06:59:07 PMThe Braniff Concordes are semi-whiffs...they were never painted in BI colors, but Braniff operated subsonic Concorde service between Washington and Dallas for a few years...one of the guys I work with flew for Braniff then and actually a Concorde Type Rating on his license...I think its a BAC122 or something.  A VERY rate Type Rating on an FAA license!!!  

Nick !! - when did you get back ??  :blink:

Back on topic - The H'gawa 1:48 Shinden comes with Hartmann 'Tulip' decals, and some Airfix box-art was a little 'speculative' at times (think HO/OO Panther  :wacko:)

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Weaver

An oldie I just discovered: the Airfix Sdkfz 234/4 "pakwagon" (8x8 open-topped armoured car with a long 75mm AT gun) is of a non-existent vehicle. When Airfix measured one in a museum back in the 1960s it didn't have any mudguards, so they assumed they'd be the split-twin mudguards of the Sdkfz 232. Well they were wrong: all the Pakwagons were based on the Puma (Sdkfz 234) chassis, with continuous mudguards. There was a 232 with a short L24 close support gun, but never with the Pak-40. Even for a 232, the guards are wrong since they're over-sized and square-edged: the real things have rounded edges.

How about Tamiya's kit of the Sgt.York SPAAG, which was cancelled before entering service?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

Hasegawa released their 72nd Shinden with Tokyo defence markings.

Dragon releasing the project versions of the He 162 (48th), Do 335, Ar 234P and He 219B.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on September 12, 2010, 09:38:15 AM
and some Airfix box-art was a little 'speculative' at times (think HO/OO Panther  :wacko:)

Ian

I think my fav was probably a boxing of the Bucaneer which had what looked like "Zero's" attacking and being shot down in the background  ;D

Quote from: Weaver on September 12, 2010, 01:32:21 PM
An oldie I just discovered: the Airfix Sdkfz 234/4 "pakwagon" (8x8 open-topped armoured car with a long 75mm AT gun) is of a non-existent vehicle. When Airfix measured one in a museum back in the 1960s it didn't have any mudguards, so they assumed they'd be the split-twin mudguards of the Sdkfz 232. Well they were wrong: all the Pakwagons were based on the Puma (Sdkfz 234) chassis, with continuous mudguards. There was a 232 with a short L24 close support gun, but never with the Pak-40. Even for a 232, the guards are wrong since they're over-sized and square-edged: the real things have rounded edges.

I can still remember the fuss that caused and still have the Airfix Magazine where Chris Ellis described how to correct it. Used to love those "simple" Chris Ellis converstion articles. I seem to remember he spent about 6 issues covering the Bren Carrier when it first came out  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

How about Tamiya's kit of the Sgt.York SPAAG, which was cancelled before entering service?

Be fair, it did get to prototype stage and was even named as a potential standard item.  Just a shame someone noticed that (a) the guns were outranged by the helicopters it was meant to destroy and (b) it didn't work very well....
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on September 13, 2010, 03:37:56 AM

Be fair, it did get to prototype stage and was even named as a potential standard item.  Just a shame someone noticed that (a) the guns were outranged by the helicopters it was meant to destroy and (b) it didn't work very well....

I particularly liked the incident where it spun round without warning and threatened to blast a reviewing stand full of VIPs: seemed to work just fine to me.... :wacko:

It's still a whiff in any kind of operational markings though, and you could make all sorts of hybrids with it. M1 chassis, SAM boxes and different radar springs immediately to mind.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Aircav

Didn't stop the Germans with their Gepard or the Russians with the 9K22 Tunguska.  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader