RCM or Combat Models

Started by GTX, September 11, 2010, 01:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Folks,

Has anyone got any experience or comments of the products of RCM or Combat Models?  They appear to have some interesting large scale vacuforms e.g. 

1/48 Blohm und Voss Bv238  (yes you read that correctly - would have about a 1.25m wingspan when built!!),

1/48 AJ-1 Savage

Sikorsky S-39B Amphibian

1/48 McDonnell XP-67 Moonbat

1/48 Northrop XB-35 Flying Wing

1/48 Northrop X/YB-49 Flying Wing

1/48 IL-28 Beagle amongst others.

Comments?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

kitnut617

Greg,

I've got a few of them, in 1/72 though.  The quality is comparable with Execuform kits but on the plus side most of the kits do come with some resin parts.  I can't vouch on the accuracy but at least they look like what it's supposed to be.

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rickshaw

I recently received an email from Combat Models Vacuforms which announced that he was about to release 1/72 models of a 727 and the B-19.  He also apparently has the masters for a 1/48 B-36, although was lamenting how he could fit it on his vacuforming machine.   :blink:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Captain Canada

Always thought about it....that Savage would be a nice one to try !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

famvburg

Many of the 1/72 kits are Airmodel copies. Some of the 1/32 kits are inaccurate. Don't get me wrong, I love CM kits. i look forward to Jeff's recent potential offerings. ISTR way back when John Rucks had it, he announced a 1/72 C-74, ironically just as I was finishing a scratchbuild using his Airmodel C-124 combined with Estes rocket parts. It never saw the light of day and I don't think Jeff even knows anything about it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Captain Canada on May 15, 2015, 08:00:19 PM
Always thought about it....that Savage would be a nice one to try !

:cheers:

I've got a Rareplanes 1/72 vacform Savage and it's BIG, even in 1/72!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

famvburg

PR19_Kit

Quote from: famvburg on April 16, 2016, 09:42:12 PM
12" span is big?

Sure it is, compared to Spitfires or Mustangs or Lightnings or F-15s.

And the 1:1 scale version flew off carriers..............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

I ended up getting the C-133 from these guys. Looks pretty good. I did a bunch of trimming etc but haven't started anything. I have also ordered one from Gene Hooker, but he's been having problems getting it formed and I'm still waiting......

:blink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

famvburg

I thought CM's C-133 was made from Hooker's molds. I built Hooker's many years ago and will say it compared to CM quality.

kitnut617

Quote from: famvburg on June 09, 2016, 05:47:14 PM
I thought CM's C-133 was made from Hooker's molds. I built Hooker's many years ago and will say it compared to CM quality.

When I was buying my 1/72 Vickers Vanguards from Gene Hooker I also bought his C-133. He told me it was his own mould and the Combat one was a different one made by John Rucks (they were being produced at about the same time and when I was buying mine, they were both available). Only Gene Hooker and Combat have done a 1/72 C-133

rickshaw

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 10, 2016, 05:24:26 AM

When I was buying my 1/72 Vickers Vanguards from Gene Hooker I also bought his C-133. He told me it was his own mould and the Combat one was a different one made by John Rucks (they were being produced at about the same time and when I was buying mine, they were both available). Only Gene Hooker and Combat have done a 1/72 C-133

Anigrand has a resin one in 1/72.  I've recently purchased a Gene Hooker C-133 and a Vanguard.  He had great difficulties getting the old fellow who did his moulding of the C-133 for him to do it and had to source one for me from a compatriot in town who was willing to sell it to me.  It's taken over three months to get the two models.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kitnut617

Quote from: rickshaw on June 10, 2016, 07:34:47 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on June 10, 2016, 05:24:26 AM

Anigrand has a resin one in 1/72.  I've recently purchased a Gene Hooker C-133 and a Vanguard.  He had great difficulties getting the old fellow who did his moulding of the C-133 for him to do it and had to source one for me from a compatriot in town who was willing to sell it to me.  It's taken over three months to get the two models.   :thumbsup:

Forgot about the Anigrand one    :-X  even though I've got the forward end and sponsons of one   :banghead:

Captain Canada

Quote from: rickshaw on June 10, 2016, 07:34:47 AM
I've recently purchased a Gene Hooker C-133 and a Vanguard.  He had great difficulties getting the old fellow who did his moulding of the C-133 for him to do it and had to source one for me from a compatriot in town who was willing to sell it to me.  It's taken over three months to get the two models.   :thumbsup:

That`s the boat I`m paddling around in right now, I sent him my cheque in mid February.....he`s having the same troubles.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?