Fighter Turned Tank Idea

Started by Cobra, September 06, 2010, 09:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, What If someone took the Body of a Harrier,Mig-21,SU-34,Etc. and Mounted iit on a Wheeled Chasis,Making it into a Tank? Think it would work? just had the Thought pop into my Head & Thought i'd post it. What Fighter Models would work for it? i was Inspired by the Robot Tank featured in the  anime 'Crusher Joe'! What Say You? Thanks for looking.Dan

Maverick

Dan,

A vehicle with wheels would reasonably be expected to be called a 'wheeled AFV'.  A tank by recognised definition is a tracked vehicle, more specifically one with a large turret that is capable of rotating 360 degrees.

Any aircraft, sans wings, would be an unworkable option in my opinion, given that the main factor for most military combat vehicles is armour of some description, whilst aircraft are primarily concerned with being as light as possible.  Even attack aircraft aren't armoured enough to be considered capable of withstanding a combat environment that even an APC could routinely handle.  They'd end up as 'soft-skins', more suited to rear area transport duties so something like a C-130 or the like would be more appropriate, but that's a stretch that only 'Transformers' could reasonably make.

Regards,

Mav

Weaver

I'm building something along those lines for the Pirate GB, but Mav is right, armour is an issue, so mine will have extra improvised armour scabbed on.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Alvis 3.14159

I've always felt a de-winged Phantom II with tracks running around inside the intake trunking would make a decent tank. Kida forgot aboot the lack of armour though. Darn.

Alvis Pi

philp

I still have to do my EE Lightning LSR project.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

G777

Quote from: Cobra on September 06, 2010, 09:16:58 PM
Hey Guys, What If someone took the Body of a Harrier,Mig-21,SU-34,Etc. and Mounted iit on a Wheeled Chasis,Making it into a Tank? Think it would work? just had the Thought pop into my Head & Thought i'd post it. What Fighter Models would work for it? i was Inspired by the Robot Tank featured in the  anime 'Crusher Joe'! What Say You? Thanks for looking.Dan

You might be interested in this. Its very old, like 2002 ish. A computer made model of a flying tank. The fuselage is an F22's. And the wings are just somthing i made to work. The engines are off an F22's. (Basically i did a bit of frankenstein work on a F22, Wha ha ha :wacko:)

The gun is a 5 inch AT gun. There is no built in MG in the turret. As i said its old. So the graphics and modeling are not that good.
I have heard it, it was close, a shock to my ears, i new i had to duck in cover, for if i didn't i would sure die... for i pushed the wrong switch, that caused chaos to everyone and me!

deathjester

I remember seeing a TIE Fighter tank on Starship Modeler.... :tank:

Fulcrum

Quote from: deathjester on September 07, 2010, 04:35:38 PM
The TIE Crawler(I think it was called by that name).
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

lancer

Quote from: Fulcrum on September 07, 2010, 11:58:36 PM
Quote from: deathjester on September 07, 2010, 04:35:38 PM
The TIE Crawler(I think it was called by that name).

Yep that the name all right. It appears in the Star Wars book on vehicles and vessels
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die