Air National Guard Birds

Started by tigercat2, September 06, 2010, 07:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat2

I have always like the ANG; recently I have completed the first phase of a project to build at least one aircraft (mostly what ifs) from each US State plus DC and PR.  Some of these are new builds, and some were existing aircraft that I put new decals on (mainly state-referenced tail codes).  d I have about 65 ANG aircraft now; at least one per state, with some states having a few more.

In this particular What if world, most states use the 2 letter code on the tail (AR, KY, MD, etc), and the Guard flies some aircraft not found our reality. 

Here are the first 10 states with a list of corresponding aircraft:

AL:   F-104R, F-16
AK:   F-8R
AZ : F-104R
AR:  F-18
CA  F-102, F-106

CO:  A-4
CT:  F-104R
DE:  F-23
DC:  F-86H
GA:  F-104C, F-104R

The F-104R is an F-104 with F-16 wings and tail and fan engine, the A-4s were purchased as part of a large Air Force buy to replace/supplement F-84Fs, and in this world the F-23 won and is flown by the Guard in at least one state.

Plenty of backstories here, I will get around to them as well as more photos.

Wes W.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Cobra

Any plans to do a Bird in WI ANG colors? just asking because i'm from Wisconsin! Dan

tigercat2

Quote from: Cobra on September 06, 2010, 10:21:32 PM
Any plans to do a Bird in WI ANG colors? just asking because i'm from Wisconsin! Dan

Right now my sole WI bird is a 2 place Jaguar (have not come up with a designation yet, I have several foreign or license built aircraft in my fleet).  I plan on several other WI birds, most if not all will be What Ifs, of course.  The Jag is in this photo with a few other states' ANG What Ifs.

Wes W.

tigercat2

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

tigercat2

Here are three other F-104Rs, along with a Lockheed Lancer.  In my What If world of the ANG,  six states use or have used F-104Rs: AL, AZ,
CT, GA, NE,  and TN. 

Three more '104Rs will be under construction soon (waiting for the F-16 kits to arrive).  Possible states are VT (The Green Mountain Boys), the Big Sky country of MT, and KS.

The '104R is a "poor man's Lancer".  More photos soon.

Wes W.

tigercat2

Here are some ANG birds you don't see every day, even in this What if world.

Wes W.

sideshowbob9

tigercat2

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on November 04, 2010, 04:47:01 AM
Some great looking birds there!

Thanks, I now have at least one What-If ANG aircraft for each of the 50 states, plus DC and PR.  Some of the more unusual ones are an F-23C for DE, an F-111D for ND, and F-65D Tigercats for  PA, WA, AR, MN, and OH

Wes W.

Jkob

Very nice collection there, those planes look great in that schemes  :thumbsup:

tigercat2

Thanks very much for the comments; I have nothing in comparison to that superb collection in your air force.

Wes W.

Pablo1965

Fredom to paint and put decals... :thumbsup: is all we need  :cheers: good air force.... the yours one :cheers:

tigercat2

Quote from: Pablo1965 on November 04, 2010, 05:16:15 PM
Fredom to paint and put decals... :thumbsup: is all we need  :cheers: good air force.... the yours one :cheers:

To me, that is the wonderful thing about our What If World; total freedom to be creative.  If you want to have a Mirage F.1 serving with the Colorado Air National Guard, that's fine.  To use a quote from a US restaurant chain, "No rules, just right"!!

Howard of Effingham

i've just noticed that F-23.

brilliant! :thumbsup:

but is it delaware ANG? i'm not sure.
Keeper of George the Cat.