Cheap Revell 1/700 Colombo Express container ship - should I get one?

Started by ChernayaAkula, September 05, 2010, 10:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheap 1/700 container ship - should I get one and turn it into a carrier?

Yeah!
16 (55.2%)
No!
0 (0%)
Just one? Get two or three!
11 (37.9%)
Back off, man! That was my idea!
0 (0%)
Pfft! Why bother? You're not gonna get round to it anyway!
2 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 26

ChernayaAkula

A local toy store has a 30% off sale on all Revell stuff. Which means I could get one of the 1/700 Colombo Express container ships for just a little over 20 of our European bucks. With the intention of fitting it out as a carrier. See THIS THREAD for some inspiration.

So! What do you guys think?

Also wanted to try out setting up a poll.  :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Cliffy B

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Steel Penguin

in the wispery voice from just behind your ear...
go on  .... you know you want too.... and theres no need to stop at one
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

lancer

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

PR19_Kit

Have some plan in place for the ZILLIONS of containers that come with it first.

Most of the mouldings in there are for the container stacks, and they're damn difficult to tell apart. I know 'cos I've had two attempts at making some stacks for my 1/700 Atlantic Conveyor with them.

But it's a great kit nonetheless.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ChernayaAkula

21 votes so far and only one was honest!  :wacko: Nah, just kiddin'!  ;D Thanks for the encouragement!  :thumbsup: May have to pop into town later this week and get one of those.

Quote from: lancer on September 06, 2010, 01:34:46 PM
Listen to the voices....you know they are right!!!! 

Yeah, I would. If only they could agree on something! :banghead: But they all say something different. And one of them is humming the Tetris tune.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Alvis 3.14159

No. Never. Don't do it.

;D
(Do you have a link to the shop? Do they take overseas orders? Am I merely attempting to misdirect you so I can swipe the idea myself? All these questions may be answered, except for Europa*...)

Yes, yes and more yes! My mantra, you can never have enough kits!!!

Alvis Pi

*2010 misquote

lancer

QuoteAnd one of them is humming the Tetris tune.

Ohhhh thats scary...... :o :o :o :o

Still on the bright side, you do have all those little container bits you can actually play tetris with haven't you??   :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Cliffy B

Quote from: lancer on September 07, 2010, 09:32:38 AM
QuoteAnd one of them is humming the Tetris tune.

Ohhhh thats scary...... :o :o :o :o

Still on the bright side, you do have all those little container bits you can actually play tetris with haven't you??   :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh man!  Now I have the theme in my head, thanks guys!  ;D
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

sandiego89

Yes you should.  The Sea Basing concept continues here in the USA, and think she would look great with Chinooks, JSF and other goodies. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

JoeP

I will be doing one of those as a Patchwork World vessel, with a helo deck and hangar aft, and a hangar and flight deck with ski-jump forward, and a mixture of containers and other cargo amidships, with a ro/ro capability.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Cobra

You may want to set up one Such Ship as a Kind of Air Sea Rescue Vessel with some Helos & Launches aboard! Keep up the great Work! Dan

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JoeP on September 07, 2010, 07:42:07 PM
I will be doing one of those as a Patchwork World vessel, with a helo deck and hangar aft, and a hangar and flight deck with ski-jump forward, and a mixture of containers and other cargo amidships, with a ro/ro capability.

Put in linking taxi-ways around the superstructure to join the two decks and you're back to HMS Furious in the 1920s.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit