Republic Of Texas Light Weight Fighter Program

Started by sotoolslinger, September 05, 2010, 02:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

So I finally got a hold of an F-20 :wacko: I do believe I have had a Gripen setting unopened in the stash for nearly 4 years :blink: ;D

Get where I am going with this?
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

sotoolslinger

By 1975 it was obvious that the United States Military Assistance Program was on the downhill slope. When the Peanut Farmer's administration eventually killed the Northrop F-20 the RoT contacted Northrop with a proposition . The Texicans would build a new manufacturing plant in the Lone Star country if Northrop would allow a redesign of the F-20 to supply to Combined Commonwealth allies. Northrop would then be allowed to market the resulting cheap ,lightweight fighter jet to any country the wished.
To Northrop this was an offer that could not be refused. Texas had already collaborated with Swedish engineers to produce the Stingray

The Saab boys, Toolslinger Engine Works , and Northrop's engineers combined to produce an excellent LW fighter which would directly compete with the US F-16 and F-18 for the next 30 years
Needs more Gas

The entire system was designed to be modular. Countries could purchase an aircraft with nothing more than a 400 mile range, a simple radar with a 30 mile range, 2 20 mm guns and Sidewinder equivalent heatseeking missiles, for just under 1 million per unit . If you were an ally you could acquire the deluxe version that was fully carrier capable, equipped with a 125 mile range TI radar ,a 1000 mile combat radius, 3 guns and the ability to carry and fire a single Phoenix/Exocet equivalent on the centerline as well as twin heatseekers and twin radar guided missiles.

I amuse me.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.

cthulhu77

Very cool !!!!    :cheers:  Love the tail end especially.

Scooterman

sotoolslinger

Thanks Bubbas :wub: I have been trying to get this together for years. :thumbsup: :party:I bet I have lost 3 F-20's on evil bay cause I wouldn't pay 50 to 75 bucks for it.
I amuse me.

ChernayaAkula

In the last pic of the first post, it didn't really look all that much different from an actual Gripen, did it?   :blink:

Like how you mounted the wing now.  :thumbsup: Now it does look different! And good (not that it looked bad before). :wub:

Are the (F-100?) tanks going to contain the main undercarriage?
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

GTX

:thumbsup:

Pulling up chair to watch this one.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

sotoolslinger

Thanks all y'all .Cherny you pegged it. In addition to added fuel the tanks house the main gear. This frees up the wings and fuselage centerline for hardpoints :wacko:
I amuse me.

Eddie M.

Outstanding! ;D I marvel at your ability to make your ideas reality.

I have an idea similar to yours, but mine's a bit old Air Force.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/scurrfy/Thunder%20Dart/15f1fa56.jpg
Look behind you!

Jeffry Fontaine

Looking good and up to your usual standards of outstanding ideas put to a physical form.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

sotoolslinger

Thanks y'all :wub: When you gonna put that together Eddie? :thumbsup:
I amuse me.