Pegasus FJ-1 Fury

Started by Nick, September 05, 2010, 09:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Back at SMW2009 Colin of Freightdog gave out a bunch of Pegasus kits for us to build as promotion for his great firm. I got the FJ-1 Fury, the first US Navy jet to land and take from a carrier.
It's taken me nearly 2 weeks on and off to get to this point and right now she's out in the shed drying off the first coat of primer paint. All I can say right now is thank goodness for Squadron putty and Zap-a-Gap glue!

Tophe

What is your colour project? Royal Navy? :lol:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

GTX

Arrr...maybe' it be appearin' in Pirate scheme...gar!!!

Captain Greg, The Beardless One
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Nick

Just brought her back in and filled in a few more lines and trenches and holes I'd missed the first time around. Funny how a coat of paint can reveal so many flaws!
I'll be sanding again tonight with the possibility of a late respray.

Not fully decided on a paint scheme yet as there were only 31 actual aircraft built and not sure who else might have laid hands on them. Needs to be a simple scheme that uses markings from my stash, maybe RAF or RCAF.

kitnut617

How does the Pegasus kit compare to the Siga one ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

anthonyp

I like that kit.  I built mine up as a plane flying off the Argentinian Cruz Meridional, their Midway class ship (the ex-USS United States (CVB-57), which eventually received an SCB.110A refit like the US's USS Coral Sea and USS Franklin D. Roosevelt)

Looking forward to your build!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

TsrJoe

Matchbox possibly from their Strikemaster kit going by the beige plastic?
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Nick

I've decided to copy the colour scheme from the RCN F2H-3 Banshee or the Sea Fury, this would make the FJ-1 Fury the first jet to fly from a Canadian carrier. I've got some old Sea Fury and Chipmunk markings to use.
There are plenty of pics out there especially the one at Shearwater Aviation Museum- http://macsnavylinks.ca/macamodius/banshee.html

What shades of grey are needed?
So far I've heard of Extra Dark Sea Grey over Sky (would this be the same as Spitfire BofB Sky?) but the RCN were rather picky and actually two-tone greys which could mean Dark Grey over Light Grey. In terms of Xtracolor or Humbrol this could be anything!

Jennings wrote a nice article about this but with no model paint references or photos which makes it difficult.
http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/seafurycandiancolorsjh_1.htm

Nick

Quick update on the painting so far before I head up to the Lakes for a week. Primed in grey with cheap Poundshop Auto Grey Primer and the lower coating is Tamiya AS-26 Light Ghost Grey.

Ready for another round of putty and sanding before the last coat of primer.

The underside is not a pretty sight!  :rolleyes:

Can you see the difference after the Ghost Grey went on?

apophenia

Quote from: Nick on September 06, 2010, 03:18:12 AM...I've got some old Sea Fury and Chipmunk markings to use...

RCN Sea Fury markings would be perfect -- it and your FJ-1 would be direct contemporaries. The Chipmunk enters service 4 years later (and ... in JMN mode ... was an RCAF machine).

NARSES2

Comong on nicely Nick.

I'm fascinated that you prime your cockpit and paint it in situ ? There is no way I could manage that. I paint the cockpit bits and then assemble with all the attendent glue problems that brings  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.