Raiders of the Reich Pt.II (new pics)

Started by matrixone, September 03, 2010, 07:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

One of the USSTAF ATI teams looking for advanced German aircraft hit the jackpot when they came across an airfield packed with the latest German jets.

Galland, Patten, and Eisenhower look at the latest German jet that was just a few weeks ago shredding B-29 formations over Germany.

Also of great interest to the ATI was the Ho 229 nightfighter, a jet type that was unkown to the Allies until the war ended.

Also found was this Li P13a which some of the U.S. troops called a ''Buck Rogers'' space plane...this aircraft served as a prop for a great many G.I.s photographs.

A rare color photograph of the captured Ta 183...

Matrixone

Taiidantomcat

Those are great! The pictures look incredibly realistic  :wub:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

ChernayaAkula

Looking at the colour photo of the Ta 183, I would say you've nailed ageing colour photographs. :bow: It looks incredibly realistic.

And the GI sitting on the Lippisch looks like he was designed to do that all along! :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

matrixone

Thanks Taiidantomcat!

Now you can see why I built the jeep and the staff car, they are subjects I would not usually build but they do make some of this Luft'46 look a little more real looking.

More of these ATI style of pics to come...BTW I just read the book ''American Raiders'' by Wolfgang W.E. Samuel which gave me the inspiration to give these type of pics a try. Lots of good reading in that book!

Matrixone

matrixone

Thanks very much Moritz!

In many of my reference books I see lots of pictures of G.I.s getting their photographs taken on the captured enemy planes, I thought the sitting figure of the G.I. would look best on one of the a/c, otherwise he would be of no use to me.

If you guys like these pics I will do more of them later on.

Matrixone

matrixone

...and here are a few more pics,

At a different airfield the ATI team discovers more interesting Luftaffe aircraft including some long nose Focke-Wulfs and a rare Do 335.

Also at this airfield was this P-40 that was captured by the Germans two years before and now recaptured intact.

Matrixone

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

matrixone

Thank you for looking Taiidantomcat,
If you like these pics you will like the new set of Fw 190A-10 pics I took, they will be posted shortly.

Matrixone

Draken35

matrixone

Thanks Draken35,
I had fun taking these pictures, its the nicest time of the year where I live and thats all the excuse I needed to get outside and enjoy the good weather. The rainy season will be here soon enough.

Matrixone

sandiego89

Most excellent.  I like it all very much.  What scale?  Tell me about your grass.  Is that sheet grass or scratch?
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

matrixone

Thank you sandiego89,

The tall grass is a sheet I bought from a model RR supplier, the very short looking grass is glued onto my photobase and is static grass used by the model RR crowd on their layouts.

Matrixone

Gondor

That's one stunning looking Do 335 Matrixone, did you record the build on here and is there a link?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Cobra

Awesome Work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: you Really captured the Feeling of the scene! makes me a Bit Jealous you did such a Great Dio! :cheers: :cheers:Dan

matrixone

Thank you Gondor and Cobra.

Gondor,
Sorry, I did not take very many any in-progress pics as I was building the Do 335, and am not sure they were ever posted here.

Dan,
I studied many photographs of the Luftwaffe planes that littered the open fields in Germany at the close of the war and have always liked the way you could see trainers, transports, and even some of the new jets pushed together waiting to be scrapped. Such photographs were the inspiration for the pics in this thread.

BTW, almost all of the models in this thread are 1/48 scale, some of the models seen in the background are 1/72 scale.

Matrixone