Twin CH-47 Idea

Started by Cobra, September 02, 2010, 08:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, Being Inspired by the Twin Hulled Airliner that was Posted,What If a Twin or Twin Hulled CH-47 were Built as an Assault Transport? Just an Idea i Thought i'd Post. Don't know What Model Kits would work but Thought i'd Mention it. Thanks for looking.Dan

Weaver

How do you see it working in detail?  :unsure:

If it's just two Chooks linked together by some sort of wing/wings, then bear in mind that those wings will be LONG to get rotor clearance, and consequently heavy. Winged helicopters have been projected many times with the idea of unloading the rotors in cruising flight, but few have been built because the downside is that in the hover, the wing is so much deadweight detracting from payload capacity, and generally the payload weight has been considered more important that the range and/or speed.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

You could have the two hulls one behind the other...........  :lol:

Four rotors, on ever-increasing heights of pylons, with a MONSTER cargo hook under the belly. Of course you'd probably need a separate cockpit for the after half as the structural vibration modes of such a fuselage would mean they'd effectively be two Wokkas flying in close formation.......!

[Note: Nothing in this suggestion is intended to be taken in ANY way seriously]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Or alternatively, have the two fuselages one on top of the other with co-axial rotors on each upper mast, the top rotors being driven by co-axial shafts from the bottom gearboxes - you could call it a CH-380..... ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Radish

Sounds very good idea....or use the CH-46 for a smaller alternative?
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

proditor

I say, go big or go home.  Intermeshing blades on canted rotor hubs.   :thumbsup:

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/87/mamba/

kitnut617

Quote from: proditor on September 03, 2010, 07:58:39 AM
Intermeshing blades on canted rotor hubs.   :thumbsup:

Many moons ago I drew up a design something like that, I planned on using four CH-53 rotors and each rotor was on the corners of a very large helicopter.  I had the whole space in between the fuselage sides as a hold.  But after four house moves, do you think I can find the drawing ----  :banghead: :banghead:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: proditor on September 03, 2010, 07:58:39 AM
I say, go big or go home.  Intermeshing blades on canted rotor hubs.   :thumbsup:

Thats what I was thinking. The only thing is those Chinook Blades are long and droopy, you would have to raise the mast to get ground clearance up front.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

ramprat

You could also use a Chinook center fuselage and a CH-46 fuselage on each side for a 6 rotor lift. You still may need to intermesh the rotors for clearance, but it would look cool. ;D

Green Dragon

I did some sketches in the 80's of the four-rotor intermeshing idea like a Kaman Huskie, having a widened very large cargo hold and stretched Chinook sides merging into a slightly widened Chinook Cockpit. I clipped the rotor length to avoid ground strikes and accidental beheadings!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)