What's the most expensive kit you've bought?

Started by McColm, August 31, 2010, 04:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi,
Whilst coming up with my dreamsheet of models that I'd like to buy but can't afford them at the moment. I came across Kitkrazy. Would you pay £70 for Trumpeter's 1/72 scale model of the Bear-H?
I know deleted stock is expensive and sites like ebay can rip you off.
If you're into oo/ho model trains the new Blue Pullman will set you back £300, two power engines, two kitchen cars and two passenger cars.

Green Dragon

£47.50 for an Anigrand XF-108A Rapier.
I've been buying off ebay mostly for the last couple of years and haven't paid full price for anything since! I tend to bid the maximum I think a kit is worth (including postage) and if I lose it doesn't matter coz the kit always pops up again and eventually I get them for hardly anything.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

McColm

lenny100

£170 for a 1/72 scale type 26 warship hull and counting
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Aircav

2000 CZK (Czech Republic Koruny) for a 1/32 Avia B-534 IV.series (Limited Edition) which worked out at about £70 at the time.  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

NARSES2

Probably the Anigrand Seamaster £75/£80 depending on the exchange rate at the time.

Quote from: McColm on August 31, 2010, 05:38:42 AM
who, sets the prices?

If you mean on E-Bay ? Then the person selling the kit
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

thedarkmaster

In a moment of madness i got myself the Amodel 1/72 An-22 which was aprox £130 at the time
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

upnorth

Quote from: Aircav on August 31, 2010, 06:02:18 AM
2000 CZK (Czech Republic Koruny) for a 1/32 Avia B-534 IV.series (Limited Edition) which worked out at about £70 at the time.  ;D

Not bad for a 1/32 kit considering that I was examining the box contents of Planet Models' new 1/72 GAF Nomad the other day. That was until I noticed it was priced just over 1000 CZK, at which point I put the lid back on it and handed it back to the shop keeper.

The day I lay out 1000 CZK on a 1/72 kit, in any medium, is the day I check myself into the funny farm.

The largest outlay I made on a single kit was about eight years ago when I spent CDN $60.00 on a Classic Airframes 1/48 F-5A kit. I put down an additional CDN $ 10.00 on a Leading Edge decal sheet and resin IFR probe for it too.

The decals and IFR probe were great. The kit, I don't want to talk about. :angry:

I just hope that AFV Club has a 1/48 F-5A in the pipeline that I can use those decals on someday.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Weaver

Christ, a few moments of madness like that and I'd be looking at millions of moments of poverty..... :blink:

I think I might have paid as much as £30 for a kit, but that's very much the exception. Mostly less than a tenner....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

kitnut617

Quote from: thedarkmaster on August 31, 2010, 09:22:40 AM
In a moment of madness i got myself the Amodel 1/72 An-22 which was aprox £230 at the time

I've got me one of those too, but back then Hannants had two listings at the same time, one much cheaper than the other. The An-22 I got cost me GBP105 but then I also bought at the same time an AiM 1/72 Boeing 747 which cost GBP107.  Including shipping it cost me almost the same as what you bought your An-22 for tDM   :o GBP250

A Blackbird 1/72 Lockheed C-5 I got cost me GBP100, and a couple of rarities, a 1/72 Britannia and a 1/72 Canadair Argus cost me in access of C$160 each
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

Amodel Beriev Be-200 in 1/72nd scale, was, is and will ever be the most expensive kit I have ever bought at £125  >:( big ouch, even bigger ouch if the missus finds out how much I paid for it :o
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

pyro-manic

The most expensive kit I have ever bought is the Bandai Master Grade 1:100 scale kit of the Hi-Nu Gundam, which I paid about AU$120 for I think. At the time, that worked out at around £60, which isn't too bad. I then had to pay quite a bit to ship it back to Blighty, which soured the deal somewhat.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Army of One

Back when it was about £60 new I got a 1/32 Tamiya F14A for £40.....gotta have been about 18 years (?) ago......also gotta admit now I think about it....paid £89 for the 'Royal' boxing of a 1/48 FW190....an A8 I think.....that was about 3 years ago....maybe slightly less.....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!