Giant/Monster Tank Query

Started by Cobra, August 27, 2010, 01:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, Just Wondering if Anyone has Built a Giant/Monster Tank? i Mean like an MBT,Not Fuel Tank! got inspired by somethings and Thought I'd Ask. may try to Build a Giant/Monster Tank sometime in the Future,so Thought i'd Ask All of You. what Say You? Thanks for looking.Dan

Maverick

Dan,

Beyond the real world Soviet multi-turreted tanks & the German WW2 'paper panzers' like the Ratte, there have been a couple of 'super tanks' featured online.  Normally they scale-o-rama parts from 72nd & 35th scale vehicles, the end result being a 76th scale vehicle most times.

HTH,

Mav

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

RotorheadTX

Another option would be the anime "Akuyaku" tank - it just begs for wierdness.
(I'm debating putting a catapult and spotter-plane on mine....)

http://www.tasca-modellismo.com/seihin/akuyaku/akuyaku2nd2.jpg

tanktastic43

I made this one a few years ago. I've still got a German version awaiting completion.

tt43.

Jacques Deguerre

In addition to the Akuyaku mentioned above, there's also the Baneblade/Shadowsword family of super heavies from Games Workshop. Two kits, each with a few build options.
Baneblade-

Shadowsword-

I love the Akuyaku, BTW. I read somewhere that the story it's feature in (originally a "one off" comic in Miyazaki's Daydream Notes collection) is one of Miyazaki's great unrealized anime projects. Apparently, he had to choose one of his story lines to develop and it came down to the story featuring the Akuyaku or another one about a pig who flies a floatplane in the Adriatic region. Miyazaki was personally leaning towards the story about the tank but ultimately, the story about the floatplane pilot was chosen and developed as the feature length Porco Rosso.

While I really enjoyed Porco Rosso and have to grudgingly admit that they probably made the right choice, I'm a "treadhead" first and foremost. I would still love to see the Akuyaku movie done one of these days.
Some clever and amusing quote goes here.

raafif

I've said it before & I'll say it again ... Nasa's mobile Shuttle launch pad with battleship turrets !!
Put those Sand People to shame !!
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

raafif

finally got around to doing it ...

you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

Cobra

Very Cool :mellow: has kind of a 'Robotech' feel to it or more like a 'Battletech' look & Feel! Thanks for posting.Dan

dy031101

I am thinking of a modernisation of the early-Churchill tank idea: a hull-mounted infantry gun and a turret-mounted anti-tank gun (which does not need any adequate HE capacity due to the afore-mentioned hull-mounted gun).

Is there a gun- its country of origin unimportant- that has good anti-armour performance by modern (late- and post-Cold-War) standard but utterly inadequate HE shells (to justify the hull-mounted gun)?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Weaver

Quote from: dy031101 on September 06, 2010, 09:59:11 PM
Is there a gun- its country of origin unimportant- that has good anti-armour performance by modern (late- and post-Cold-War) standard but utterly inadequate HE shells (to justify the hull-mounted gun)?

Any auto-cannon in the 25-40mm range? Modern AT guns are in the 90mm to 125mm range, so their HE rounds are automatically big enough to be worthwhile. To get a usefully bigger HE round, you'd have to go to 155mm+ which would make a BIG tank (which is the point of the exercise, of course).

Another approach might be that the hull gun brings some other speciality than sheer HE size to the party. Maybe it's a low-velocity, high-angle weapon which can fire into "dead ground" that the high-velocity AT gun can't get to? It'd be a bit like taking the Merkava and hugely pumping up the size of it's 60mm mortar. The only problem is that tactically, you'd really want both guns to be in turrets.

Here's another idea though: a 165mm (or bigger) demolition gun: one of those ultra-low velocity "dustbin chuckers" used on engineer tanks for obstacle breaching. That would make more sense in a front hull mount: you fight your way through the enemy armour using the AT gun until you get to a concrete fortification, at which point you  blow a hole in it with the demo gun to let your infantry in. Since it's a super-size tank, maybe it could even carry the infantry too.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

rickshaw

The Rhienmetall 120mm is one such weapon - it doesn't have a HE round. They utilise a modified HEAT with multiple fusing to replace it but it has long been criticised as not as good as a dedicated HE round.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on September 07, 2010, 02:52:56 AM
The Rhienmetall 120mm is one such weapon - it doesn't have a HE round. They utilise a modified HEAT with multiple fusing to replace it but it has long been criticised as not as good as a dedicated HE round.

Yes, but as far as I know, that's a choice, not a limitation: it could have an HE round if they'd make one.

EDIT: according to the Wiki entry, a Polish company are making a straight HE round for the 120mm.

- Indiana Jones

G777

Thats out of Supreme Commander, its the Fat boy experimental tank. The Fat boy is also a mobile factory and when it goes into the sea, drives on the seabed. A bit like one of those german tank ideas with snorkels so thier engines can take in air. I would post a image of it but my "browse" bar for uploading images is not working.
I have heard it, it was close, a shock to my ears, i new i had to duck in cover, for if i didn't i would sure die... for i pushed the wrong switch, that caused chaos to everyone and me!

Weaver

Merkava-based supertank with high-angle gun in rear turret. The latter can fold down so the main turret can traverse to the rear (and yes, I know all about track length/width ratios: it's just a quick'n'dirty):

- Indiana Jones