21st century models, any good??

Started by chrisonord, August 19, 2010, 04:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I have a 1/32nd scale Messerschmit 109 that I acquired a while back, it is still sealed in its film etc. I don't want to open it up as to be honest I don't think I will build it, are these kits any good? or should I just whack it on ebay and chance it?
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Nigel Bunker

They are very good. The only problem is that you have to fill the screw holes. Decals by Microscale, so that speaks for itself. If it is the F model, Im me and I'll take it off of your hands of you don't want it.
Life's too short to apply all the stencils

Radish

They are excellent....and if you don't want the pilot you could probably sell that alone for £5 as it's superb moulding.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Hawkeye

Great kits! Where else could you have gotten a decent large scale model for such an affordable price? I built this one as part of a Slam Build, that is a contest build where you have two hours from start to finish. Most of the time was actually spent painting it and decaling it. The real detractor from this project was I didn't do a very good job painting the canopy, I ran out of time.

I've seen others who have built up some rather impressive models using these kits as a base...a little time, some aftermarket and scratching and you can have one awesome model!
Gerald Voigt
http://www.hawkeyeshobbies.com
Its not the workbench that makes the model, it is the modeler at the workbench.

chrisonord

Quote from: Nigel Bunker on August 20, 2010, 03:56:32 AM
They are very good. The only problem is that you have to fill the screw holes. Decals by Microscale, so that speaks for itself. If it is the F model, Im me and I'll take it off of your hands of you don't want it.
Thanks for the info on the kit fellas, the kit is the Bf-109 G-14,  :huh: to me, I am not too enlightened when it comes to ww2 stuff so if you want it Nigel, its yours. If not, make me an offer someone.
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

dragon

I don't know about the 1/32 scale jobs, but I know that Roy Sutherland (Author, Cooper Details, Barracuda Decals)was consulted and had a big role in making 21st Century Toys larger models. 
:cheers: 
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Taiidantomcat

I have four of these 21st century models and although I have not built any of them yet I have been very impressed with the moldings and indeed the pilots are worth the price of admission. I too considered selling them but they only tend to go for about $10-$13 shipped since shipping them would cost about $8 bucks anyway I decided to just hold onto them instead of making a whole $3!!
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Hawkeye

Quote from: dragon on August 20, 2010, 01:59:23 PM
I don't know about the 1/32 scale jobs, but I know that Roy Sutherland (Author, Cooper Details, Barracuda Decals)was consulted and had a big role in making 21st Century Toys larger models. 
:cheers: 

Roy was employed by 21st CT. Its failure as a business was from the top...the owner had other priorities in life/business. It also was a huge mistake being tied to Wal-Mart as your primary customer. Once WM decided to drop the line, it took a serious toll on the company. They scrambled to diverse, but it was already too late.
Gerald Voigt
http://www.hawkeyeshobbies.com
Its not the workbench that makes the model, it is the modeler at the workbench.

matrixone

These models are very good for what cost.
Filling in the screw holes is not that bad of a job to do, the thing that did bother me about these kits is the quality of the plastic which is hard to sand and does not glue together as well as the plastic used in most other kits.
These kits do have very good pilot figures and GREAT decals, the decals alone are worth the price of the kits.

Matrixone