Hawker Willy Willy - Aussie Hurricane

Started by buzzbomb, August 19, 2010, 04:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

what if... the RAAF got some Hurricanes, but to keep in line with CAC build jigs, the installation of a Pratt and Whitney Radial, as fitted to the Boomerang, Wirrayway and Beaufort aircraft, was a preferred engine.
I reckon you might have got the Hawker Willy Willy (in line with the wind naming but more Aussie)

It ultimately it conversion proved fruitless as the PW engines delivered less performance and was troublesome. But the ground erks were at least happy that the current tools all fitted !

The brass decided that the resultant aircraft looked too much like the Zero to continue with the modification.

tc2324

Very well executed there Buzzbomb. I do prefer my whifs to have a touch of reality and this fits that bill.  :thumbsup:
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Slerski

I find this plane very aggressive. Maybe the massive piece of US enginnering in the nose... However this plane looks very natural. :thumbsup:
« Le MAGIC, c'est fantastique !! » [Sgt Vincent D., FAF armourer]

« Un Pétaf qui s'ennuie est un Pétaf dangereux... »

Mossie

Looks good!  I've done an Aussie Hurricane myself, although it was oob.  The radial gives a very different look to the purposeful looking Hurricane.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

I like that  :thumbsup: and of course there was a version schemed of a radial engined Hurricane (Hercules ?) in case supplies of Merlins were hit
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Flyboy69

It's got the looks of a Bloch 155, but I like it!!! A lot!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Finally out of the closet!!!!!!!

tanktastic43

Looks very Japanese me thinks. Give it the white paint job with black nose, some meatballs and Robert is your proverbial.

Nice one.  :thumbsup:

tt43.

cafe

GTX

Brilliant - need more photos though!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

upnorth

Nice and different! Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Tophe

What a pleasant & unusual radial-Hurricane... thanks! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: Flyboy69 on August 19, 2010, 09:55:17 AM
It's got the looks of a Bloch 155, but I like it!!! A lot!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's it, that's what it reminds me of.... looks great, really like that  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

grayman

Quote from: GTX on August 20, 2010, 02:48:55 PM
Brilliant - need more photos though!

+1 to Greg's request. Any chance of a top view? I'd love to see your technique in adapting the radial to the slim fuselage.

BTW, marvelous job!  ;D
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open -- General Sir Michael Dewar.

buzzbomb

G'day all,
Thanks for the great feedback.
To fair in the much larger radial, I put a chunk of card on the sides and faired in using filler.. stupidly, I did not take photos under construction, as I banged it out over a weekend. I am doing another What If Aussie Hurricane build for John Baxter.. who puts our books like http://www.luft46.com/johnbook.html more of that later.

Due to demand.. some more pix

Cheers

Brian T