the "Demilitarize it" GB

Started by Spey_Phantom, August 15, 2010, 09:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

was thinking about this, but i dont know if this has been proposed already.
the goal is do convert normally military bombers or fighters (Blenheims, B-17, B-24, B-52, Lancaster, A-1's....) into airliners, cargo freighters or executive aircraft.

IIRC, the JU-88 and the Blenheim were originaly developed as Airliners or executive aircraft.

but not only aircraft can be demilitarised, also aircraft carriers (as cruise ships  :lol: ), submarines (undersea tourism), tanks,......
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

James

Like the idea Nils.  :thumbsup:

Got me thinking of doing a Vickers Valiant in either Britannia or Monarch colours for those package tours to Spain.  :lol:

Weaver

I could have sworn somebody proposed a "swords into ploughshares GB" ages ago, but I'm damned if I can find it.

A demilitarized aircraft carrier could be interesting: golf course, swimming pool, cantilever condos....... :wacko:

When Brazil was selling the Minas Gerais off, I tried to persuade folk on biker sites to all club together and buy it as a travelling rally venue, picking people up around the coast and then moving outside territorial waters for a hell of a party. No neighbours, no noise complaints, no music curfew, no cops, waterproof accomodation, on-sight commercial-standard catering, the ability to stage a good fireworks show, inside show arena/concert area and a built in drag strip (with an admittedly slightly dodgy run-off area), it would have been perfect. Amazingly though, nobody took me seriously..... :rolleyes:;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Logan Hartke

Quote from: Weaver on August 17, 2010, 10:18:07 AM
A demilitarized aircraft carrier could be interesting: golf course, swimming pool, cantilever condos....... :wacko:

An amusement parks, a shopping mall!  Oh wait...

It reminds me of Polly the Lobster from "Muppet Treasure Island":

"What an imagination. First pirates, now talking parrots, what's next - a singing, dancing mouse with his own amusement park?"

Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

Cheers,

Logan

jcf

The Bristol Type 142M Blenheim was developed from the Type 142 high-speed transport Britain First
built for Lord Rothermere.

The Ju 88 was never anything other than a bomber originating from a mid-30s requirement for a Schnellbomber.

The Do 17 was originally designed to a 1933 Lufthansa requirement for a fast mailplane with a secondary
passenger carrying capacity.

Off the top of my head, and limiting it to WWII era types,  civil "conversions" (in quotes because the extent of conversion varied greatly)
were made of the Stranraer, Lancaster, Halifax, A-20, B-17, B-23, B-24, B-25, A/B-26 (Douglas), PB4Y-2and PBM.

Mosquitos were used for aerial mapping and racing, and of course several single-engined fighter types became racers.

A B-36 'Flying Super-Yacht' would be amusing.

Jon

frank2056

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 17, 2010, 10:59:55 AM

Off the top of my head, and limiting it to WWII era types,  civil "conversions" (in quotes because the extent of conversion varied greatly)
were made of the Stranraer, Lancaster, Halifax, A-20, B-17, B-23, B-24, B-25, A/B-26 (Douglas), PB4Y-2and PBM.

You could stretch it and include the Boeing 377, which was based on and used many of the components of the B-50, which in turn was based on the B-29.

jcf

Quote from: frank2056 on August 17, 2010, 11:23:14 AM

You could stretch it and include the Boeing 377, which was based on and used many of the components of the B-50, which in turn was based on the B-29.

Technically the Model 377 is the airliner version of the Model 376-4-6 aka YC-97A.
The Model 376/C-97 series was originally developed from the B-29 and with the 376-4-6 made the
switch to 75ST structure, R-4360s and high tail that defined the B-50.

I would not however include it as a 'demilitarized' bomber as it was purpose designed for the transport role.

thedarkmaster

how about these

B-58A Hustler AF Serial No. 59-2458, the "Cowtown Hustler" as seen in the DHL advertisement campaign " When it absolutely has to be there on time" East Midlands Airport DHL compound 1990-91.

Tupolev TU16ks-1, former Tentara Nasional Indonesia Angkatan Udara aircraft operated by BOAC, Singapore 1973.

done both for part of my Empires Twighlight thread

Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Ed S

Sounds like a great idea for a group build.  Lots of opportunity for creativity.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Joe C-P

The tour boat "Ticonderoga", which used to sail Lake George in NY, was originally an LCI landing craft.
The USN also sold some PT boats for personal use.
In both world wars the USN obtained civilian craft for military patrols, and many were turned back over to civilians post-war.

I've seen an A-26 converted into a flying luxury camper.

Fighters, of course, have been made into racing aircraft.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Cobra

How about These Ideas:Aircraft Carrier turned into an ASR platform for Coast Guard Use,Extend the Range of some Aircraft by Using a Carrier. B-36 into an Airborne Fire Fighting Platform for Fighting Forest Fires.  submarines turned into Deep Sea Transports for divers trying to 'go Deep'. just a few Ideas to Consider. Dan

Weaver

How about any gunship helo converted into a logging machine in the same style as the K-MAX? Just dump all weapon systems and most sensors and fit a big cargo hook. Might also consider bulging the canopy sides for a straight-down view, or maybe replacing nose sensors with a simpler periscope system to see what's going on directly underneath. Could also replace the pylons with detachable long-range fuel tanks for ferry flights.

Actually, I seem to remember some "civvie" Cobras belonging to a US Govt. agency: Forestry Service or something like that?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

JayBee

Quote from: Weaver on August 18, 2010, 01:15:52 AM
How about any gunship helo converted into a logging machine

I LIKE it, quick burst from the chain gun and down goes the tree. BRRRT TIMBER!

Oh, then I read the rest of the post. Drat! :banghead:

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

James

I like the idea of a carrier cruise ship. Just looking at my model of HMS Vicky, you could turn the rear lift into a swimming pool.
How about a floating football and rugby pitch – for matches that need to be played on a neutral venue e.g. safety reasons, security risks etc.

Quote from: JayBee on August 18, 2010, 01:44:04 AM
How about any gunship helo converted into a logging machine

I LIKE it, quick burst from the chain gun and down goes the tree. BRRRT TIMBER!

Oh, then I read the rest of the post. Drat! :banghead:

Jim

;D You were not the only one thinking that!

jcf

How about any gunship helo converted into a logging machine in the same style as the K-MAX? Just dump all weapon systems and most sensors and fit a big cargo hook. Might also consider bulging the canopy sides for a straight-down view, or maybe replacing nose sensors with a simpler periscope system to see what's going on directly underneath. Could also replace the pylons with detachable long-range fuel tanks for ferry flights.

Actually, I seem to remember some "civvie" Cobras belonging to a US Govt. agency: Forestry Service or something like that?

USFS and Washington State Department of Natural Resources.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Washington-State-Department/Bell-AH-1F-Cobra/0601683/L/

Having worked on heli-logging machines (S-61 and Bell 205/212/214) I'll have to say that the bulged canopy is a necessity and that your periscope notion wouldn't work. The field of view would be far too limited, particularly for logging in the West of the US and Canada.
The woods be thick. ;)

Jon