UN-10

Started by Glenn, April 25, 2004, 07:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

I know it should be on a Sci-Fi site, but the thing was designed in the early to mid '60's, so I thought,"why not!"
The model is the UN-10 fighter, from the very first episode of Thunderbirds. The one where FireFlash has a bomb in the undercart, and can't land. Out in the English Channel, a TX-204 target tug, is awaiting the fighter and lets out the drone.
I don't know how big the original model was, but seeing it was based on an F-101A, I'd say it was either Aurora of Lindberg, and that would make it 1/48th.
The model I used was a 1/144th F-101A, by Crown, and the wings, (I don't know what they originally used) I cut down a MiG-15's wings, Airfix. With the engines, well back in those days, there were so many B-58 kits available, it was easy to choose. I couldn't find any B-58, that was close to the scale I'd ended up with, so scratched them from Evergreen tubing, and bog.
The scene was as close to a scene from the show I could get.

Tophe

Nice bird  :wub:  but belly landing in emergency would be hard and destroy the jets everytime, I fear...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

John Howling Mouse

It's got a T-Tail!!

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

uk 75

The Anderson shows are a great treasure trove for 60s and 50s kits of aircraft. There used to be a great website called Supermarionation by Marc Frattasio(?) which had stills from all of them and saying which kits were used.  I printed a lot of stuff off from it, but do not have it electronically.

Some highlights were the Convair B58 Hustler and the Northrop F5, as well as the Bomarc and Bloodhound missiles.  Other aircraft were invented by Anderson and Derk Meddings from aircraft projects such as the rocket assisted Starfighter or the plane carrying ideas of the 50s.

As a kid in the mid 60s the real world of TSR2 and my Marx toy were matched by the wonderful black and white Anderson shows brought to life each week in TV21.
Try the TNT hobbies link on the Gerry Anderson pages for a couple of modelmakers in Chesterfield who do some neat stuff.

Another inspiration from the same period was the Daily Express "Jeff Hawke" strip which has been mentioned before on this site. Sadly not available in any reprinted forms (except in French in Belgium!).  Hawke was an RAF pilot and astronaut living in a "near future" which was considerable neater than the real 1980s. Britain was a major power with its own space station and supersonic fighters.  A joint UK-US-European Mars mission involved Brits, Canadians and a US female Commander who looked more like one of Charlies Angels than Sally Ride!   The writer was Sidney or Sydney Jordan. If this chap is still alive, he should really reissue these stories for us future-nostalgia freaks!

UK75  (I prefer Sidny's to the one I went through)

Captain Canada

Awesome model, Lyn !

Lemme get this straight...that was a drone ?

Cheers !

Toadman :wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

This is normally the bit where I describe it as "very Gerry Anderson"  :lol:

Nice work :)

I remember building the Airfix Angel Interceptor as a little kid.  I can still remember the bare white plastic over which I stuck the decals :)  I also had a die-cast multi-wheeled vehicle, that was from Captain Scarlet (I'm sure one of you Anderson geeks can enlighten me :D )
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Aircav

Its Thunderbirds and it gets my vote  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

WeeJimmy

nicely done

Is it true that Lady Penelope's Rolls Royce ( 6 wheeler) was actually designed by RR itself?

nev

QuoteSPV
Thats the baby!  :)  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Glenn

Capt'n,
   No, this is the fighter that destroys the drone. The drone is a tailless tadpole. I made that as well, with the TX-204 target tug. They are 1/72nd but don't know what scale this fighter is, around 1/100, I'd say.
To UK 75, I'm a Dan Dare fan actually, I bet you've heard of him, just ask your dad!
   Glenn (Lyn)

Glenn

Capt'n,
    This is the target tug, the tx-204, and on the lifting trolly, in between the booms is the drone.
Scale :1/72
Construction: The whole model is scratch built, the fuselage vac-form, as is the clear canopy. It has a full cockpit, and storage bay. The only kit parts are the crew and the three rear engines on the 'T' tail, Hobbycraft B-58
                                                                          Glenn/Lyn

Tophe

QuoteThis is the target tug, the tx-204, and on the lifting trolly, in between the booms is the drone.                                                                           Glenn/Lyn
Dear Glenn/Lyn,
I have found nothing on the web about tx-204 :( . Is this the twin-boomer on your little picture? Could you tell more to the ones like me that have never seen the Thunderbirds films... :(
Your model is very nice :wub: , with a slight asymetry for the cockpit, it seems, but it would be great to know more, to see more... :)  

Glenn

Tophe,
   You've never seen Thunderbirds! Where have you been!
I'll send a bigger shot of the TX-204, as with that one, I was using Paint Shop Pro, trying to reduce photos to 75kb.
Tophe, you sent me a shot of it taking off, side view, remember!
                                                                                        Glenn/Lyn

Tophe

QuoteTophe,
   You've never seen Thunderbirds! Where have you been!
I'll send a bigger shot of the TX-204.
Tophe, you sent me a shot of it taking off, side view, remember!                                                                              Glenn/Lyn
Thanks a lot dear Glenn-Lyn, your new post is very good. :)
Please accept my apologies for the former source I had forgotten... :(

Tophe

Are the 3 pictures the same plane ? The shape of the fin is différent, either vertical, swept, forward swept...