Aermacchi joins the RAF

Started by bacofoil, August 08, 2010, 06:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bacofoil

Early 1970,s and the cash strapped MOD tells the RAF that due to the cost over runs with the R.N Carrier refits the rising cost of the MRCA program and the requirement for a new fighter,they(RAF) must buy the new jet trainer that is"already available".
No then current trainer fits the bill but the forthcoming Aermacchi MB339 would be quite acceptable and is about one third the cost of a new design.The MOD agrees.So does R.R who build the Viper 632.
The RAF buys 150 and H.S get the contract to build the wings for all of these aircraft with 11 going to Red Arrows team.
Simple ! :rolleyes:

srkirad

this is gorgeous bacofoil, just like you previous model - Italian BAe Hawk!

are you planning maybe same this model in RAF camouflage pattern, or BAe Hawk in Frecce Tricolori livery?
There's a grey place between black and white, but everyone does have the right to choose the path that he takes...
Administrator of Serbian modelling forum "Maketarski Kutak"
www.maketarskikutak.com

JayBee

You know, a BAe Hawk in Patrouille de France colours would be nice :rolleyes:

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Tophe

It loooks so RIGHT I guess this is true life story and not what-if... ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

bacofoil

Thanks chaps. Yes I do have another MB-339 waiting to be built and guess it will end up as a TWU aircraft in camo ? See attached.A Hawk in PDF colours sounds good and also 1 in Frecce colours would be great if only I could the decals for it!

bacofoil

ps; This Hawk pic is not one of mine!

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ysi_maniac

Neat model. High quality paintjob. :wub: :wub: :wub: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow:
Will die without understanding this world.

beowulf

now that looks just right some how ...nice one  :thumbsup:
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: bacofoil on August 08, 2010, 11:02:39 AM
Thanks chaps. Yes I do have another MB-339 waiting to be built and guess it will end up as a TWU aircraft in camo ? See attached.A Hawk in PDF colours sounds good and also 1 in Frecce colours would be great if only I could the decals for it!

Great model there (always liked the 339) and credible story too.

I think the Airfix G.91 comes with Frecce Tricolori colours, and I think I have a set to spare. Whether it fits is another matter of course, but they're about the same size and shape. I'll have a look, but it won't be tonight (v.busy). If I don't get back to you, remind me by PM!
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

bacofoil

Thanks Weaver.A set of G-91 decals would get me off in the right direction for a Tricolori Hawk.Id be happy to pay your postage.I could then start yet another Jet Trainer ;D
Regards.

chrisonord

Very nice Bacofoil, and like the others have said it really does look right in those colours.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Weaver

I've found the Airfix G.91 decals! Few points:

1. They're NOT the current "diagonal stripes" scheme as seen on the MB.339s, rather they are this "triple darts" scheme (but aircraft no.11):

2. They're not bad quality for old Airfix, and they have separate centre dots for the roundels, but the green is still a bit ragged on the stripes.

3. I can't find any instructions to showthe placement - sorry. There are plenty of photos on-line, however.

If you still want them, PM me your address and you can have them for free.

If you want the current MB-339 decals, then Italeri are currently doing a commemorative Frecci Tricolori boxed set with a Sabre, a G.91 and an MB-339 in it, but it'll set you back about £18.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

nev

Bacofoil, yet again you give us an elegantly simple and flawlessly finished whiff :wub: :wub:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May