P-3 Orion Markings & Paint Scheme Query

Started by Cobra, August 07, 2010, 07:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, A question I've been Keeping in Mind Finally gave me Reason to Ask:Is there Such a Thing as Too Exotic a Paint Scheme & Markings for a P-3 Orion? always thought the P-3 was Cool & Sweet Looking. I Always miss Trying to Purchase an Orion & was thinking No Matter Who had P-3's They Were Always Cool & got to Wondering What Would look Good on a P-3? Hope those Who pulled Duty on P-3's Won't be P.O.ed with my Q. thanks for looking.Dan

Cliffy B

Considering their a Maritime Patrol plane, look through the various schemes employed by the Navies of the world through out the years.  Everyone that operates them uses a shade of gray save for Iran and their cool tri-color blue disruptive scheme.  The subdued grays help hide them from roaming fighters whereas Blues would only hide them from above.  Hmmm....  Mess around with shades of Gray, Blue, and Blue-Gray.  If you have any ideas you'd like profiled let me know and I can whip some up for review.
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Taiidantomcat

Not everything need be a boring gray. Japan used to paint their Grumman Trackers in a gorgeous dark gray with yellow and orange wings and tails for hi visibility (tried finding a photo!  :banghead: ) Most maritime patrol aircraft are brightly colored to stand out for Search and Rescue work anyway and for visibility if they have to ditch.

The sky is the limit!
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Cobra

Cliffy, think you could do a P-3 in a Combo of Sea Blue,White,and Gold? just thought i'd ask. Thanks. Dan

Maverick

If someone can come up with a nice blank for the P-3, I've got a few ideas ticking around that I'd like to try.  My own P-3 is pretty small & cacky.

Regards,

Mav

PR19_Kit

The Dutch P-3s used to fly in a deep blue and grey scheme, before they switched to the almost universal Euro-grey. Then of course they sold all their P-3s and got out of the MR business entirely.  :angry:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Cliffy B

I might be able to help you out there Mav.  Let me tinker a bit today.

Cobra, how do you want the 3 colors arranged?  Blue over White with Gold accents?
-Tom Clancy

-Anonymous

-Anonymous

Cobra

yes. could you also add the Words 'World Navy' give it a 'Thunderbirds' feel. Thanks.Dan

Cliffy B

Alright gents, after 2 hours in Illustrator I give you 3 Orion blanks; a P-3C, an EP-3E, and a UP-3A AWACS Orion.  Enjoy!

High-Res
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6858/p3orionblankstraced.jpg

Had to put the high-res one on Image Shack since Photobucket loves to re size stuff....  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:  If the link goes down PM me and I'll e-mail you the file.  I'll mess with some color options later, need food right now.  Have fun with them!

-Mike
-Tom Clancy

-Anonymous

-Anonymous

Maverick

Brilliant stuff Mike!!!  Thanks heaps for putting that up.

Regards,

Mav

Cliffy B

Alright guys, whipped up a pair of P-3s today.  Cobra, yours will be next don't worry.  I'm still working on a few ideas for other schemes.

Lockheed P-3C Orion of VP-40 testing an experimental camo scheme.  I subdued the markings a bit too and moved the Marlin to behind the cockpit as well.

Yeah, I know, "experimental" he says...  ;D  Why tri-color?  WHY THE HECK NOT?!  :wub:

Lockheed HP-3J Eagle Eye of USCG Air Station Clearwater, Florida used for Counter Drug Ops.

In my world the USCG retains a bit more of "punch" when it comes to weaponry.  Hence the retention of all of the USN search equipment and weapons capability.

Any other requests?

Any comments, thoughts, ideas, etc... are appreciated as always.

-Mike
-Tom Clancy

-Anonymous

-Anonymous

GTX

How about one in some sort of Shark or Killer Whale inspired scheme?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

upnorth

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on August 07, 2010, 10:59:40 PM
Not everything need be a boring gray. Japan used to paint their Grumman Trackers in a gorgeous dark gray with yellow and orange wings and tails for hi visibility (tried finding a photo!  :banghead: ) Most maritime patrol aircraft are brightly colored to stand out for Search and Rescue work anyway and for visibility if they have to ditch.

The sky is the limit!

You talking about these guys:

That scheme seems to have derived from a USN one used on the US-2C:

The above photos, plus many more can be found at the S-2 Tracker home page:
http://home.planet.nl/~roden171/index.html
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Taiidantomcat

Thanks North! I guess I should have started there first!!  :drink:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

McColm

thanks for the ideas and drawings, just need to buy a few more P-3 and E-2 kits.
Pity you can't buy the rotodome seperately.